17 Bulgarian Bishops Eligible to Become Next Varna Metropolitan
Seventeen Bulgarian bishops from a total of eighteen are eligible to become the next Metropolitan of Varna and Veliki Preslav and succeed the late Metropolitan Kiril at the post.
All Bishops older than 35 and under the age of 70 can run. Those who do not wish to be considered must inform the Holy Synod in writing.
From all actual Bishops, only Teodosiy is older than 70, while Pavel is no longer Bishop as he is facing a church tribunal and possible stripping of all dignities.
With the sudden and surrounded by rumors and suspicions drowning death of Metropolitan Kiril on July 9, the post became vacant and under article 93 of the Code of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church a new Metropolitan must be appointed within 3 months.
Under the same Code, the vote is cast by diocesan electors designated by parish councils. The final decision is made by the Holy Synod, which is to elect one of the two candidates who have collected the most votes.
- » Plovdiv, Sofia, Tarnovo, Varna Shortlisted for Europe Culture Capital
- » Bulgaria Celebrates 20 Years in Francophonie
- » Fresh Poll Shows 4% Margin between Major Bulgarian Parties
- » Bulgarian Parliament Rejects Easing Full Smoking Ban
- » Bulgarians Protest against Ease of Smoking Ban
- » Ennio Morricone in Sofia - Encore after Encore