Russia: Strike on Syria to Trigger Regional Catastrophe
Russia has warned that military intervention in Syria would have "catastrophic consequences" for the region.
Russian foreign ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich on Tuesday called on the international community to show "prudence" over the crisis and observe international law.
"Attempts to bypass the Security Council, once again to create artificial groundless excuses for a military intervention in the region are fraught with new suffering in Syria and catastrophic consequences for other countries of the Middle East and North Africa," he said in a statement.
Late on Monday, the US said it was postponing a meeting on Syria with Russian diplomats, citing "ongoing consultations" about alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria.
Hours later, Russia expressed regret about the decision.
- » Westerwelle: EU Still Hopes to See Ukraine Joining
- » 3 Ukrainian Ex-Presidents Back Pro-EU Protests
- » Ukrainian PM Threatens Pro-EU Protesters with Prison
- » Azarov Threatens Western Ukraine with Budget Cuts over Protests
- » Russia Calls for Non-Interference in Ukraine
- » Protesting Pro-EU Students Occupy Education Ministry in Kiev