Gas Bottle Probable Cause for Sofia Blast
The cause of the explosion at a Chinese restaurant in downtown Sofia that left 11 injured Sunday night is most probably a natural gas bottle, according to firefighting authorities.
"We will be able to definitely reconstruct what happened later Monday morning, when teams finish the inspection of the premises," said Commissar Nikolay Nikolov for the Bulgarian National Radio.
He said that firefighters retreived 14 gas bottles from the restaurant.
11 people, including 2 passers by, have been injured by the blast, one of them still in critical condition Monday morning.
"The extent of damagest to the building, and the parts to be demolished, are still to be ascertained," said Vladi Kalinov, a senior architecture expert at Sofia Municipality.
The explosion tore off parts of the facade of a building located right in Sofia's center, opposite the St. Nicholas Russian chruch on Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd.
- » Only 1 of 5 Bulgarian Roma Is Employed – Study
- » 62% of Bulgarians against Accepting More Refugees – Poll
- » Protesting Bulgarian Students with 'College Day' Action
- » Bulgarian Students Celebrate 'College Day'
- » 3 Injured in Bulgarian Refugee Shelter Riot
- » Bulgaria's Interior Admits about Unrest at Refugee Center on Nov 30