Bulgaria Marks 110th Anniversary of Ilinden Uprising
Bulgaria will officially mark Saturday the 110th annniversary of the Ilinden-Preobrazhenie Uprising of Bulgarians in Macedonia and Thrace against the Ottoman Empire.
The events in the summer of 1903 culminated at the feasts of St. Elijah (Ilinden) and Transfiguration of Christ (Preobrazhenie).
For the first time, a recreation of what happened will be staged at the Petrova Niva locality near Malko Tarnovo in the Strandzha mountain, south-eastern Bulgaria.
Celebrations will be under the auspices of Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev.
A number of other senior persons of state, including VP Margarita Popova, Parliament Speaker Mihail Mikov and Foreign Affairs Minister Kristian Vigenin will also be present.
- » Bulgaria's History Museum with Free Admission for Christmas
- » US Foundation Launches 9th Sofia Student Film Fest
- » Legendary Aerosmith to Rock Sofia in May
- » Top Bulgarian Landmark Honors Patron Saint
- » After Bulgaria, Serbia Out of Eurovision Too, Portugal Back
- » Cash-Stripped Bulgaria Gives Up Eurovision Contest