China's Ex Minister Sentenced to Death for Corruption
China’s former Railways Minister has been sentenced to death for bribery and abuse of power in one of the country's highest-level corruption cases for decades.
Liu Zhijun was sentenced to death, suspended for two years, by a court in Beijing, the official Xinhua News Agency reported on Monday.
Liu, 60, who oversaw the ministry's high-profile bullet train development, was accused of accepting massive bribes and steering lucrative projects to associates.
After two years, such sentences typically are reduced to life in prison if the inmate shows good behavior, but Liu will spend at least ten years in jail.
- » Bulgaria Voices Support for Macedonia’s Territorial Integrity
- » Monument of Turkmen President Now Erected in Ashgabat
- » Russia Starts Snap Drills of Central District Air Force, Air Defence Group
- » ESM Head Klaus Regling Emphasizes Need for Prompt Action in Greece
- » Turkey President Says NY Times Should 'Know Its Place'
- » Bulgarian Vessel Taking Part in Romanian Naval Drill