China's Ex Minister Sentenced to Death for Corruption
China’s former Railways Minister has been sentenced to death for bribery and abuse of power in one of the country's highest-level corruption cases for decades.
Liu Zhijun was sentenced to death, suspended for two years, by a court in Beijing, the official Xinhua News Agency reported on Monday.
Liu, 60, who oversaw the ministry's high-profile bullet train development, was accused of accepting massive bribes and steering lucrative projects to associates.
After two years, such sentences typically are reduced to life in prison if the inmate shows good behavior, but Liu will spend at least ten years in jail.
- » Video Purports to Show Beheading of US Journalist Steven Sotloff
- » EU to Decide on New Russia Sanctions by Friday, Mogherini Says
- » UNHCR: More Ukrainians Flee Homes to Escape Fighting
- » Estonia's President Wants Permanent NATO Bases in Country
- » Russia to Update Military Doctrine in View of ‘New Military Dangers’
- » Slovakia Starts Shipping Gas to Ukraine via Vojany-Uzhgorod Pipeline