China's Ex Minister Sentenced to Death for Corruption
China’s former Railways Minister has been sentenced to death for bribery and abuse of power in one of the country's highest-level corruption cases for decades.
Liu Zhijun was sentenced to death, suspended for two years, by a court in Beijing, the official Xinhua News Agency reported on Monday.
Liu, 60, who oversaw the ministry's high-profile bullet train development, was accused of accepting massive bribes and steering lucrative projects to associates.
After two years, such sentences typically are reduced to life in prison if the inmate shows good behavior, but Liu will spend at least ten years in jail.
- » Montenegro's Djukanovic Not Up for New PM Term after Elections
- » EU Parliament Backs Mechanism Replacing CVM Monitoring on Bulgaria, Romania
- » Turkey's Cavusoglu: Ground Operation in Iraq Is Possible If Turkey Is Threatened
- » Greece To Receive EUR 2.8 B Tranche Under Third Bailout Programme
- » Explosion Rocks Antalya Chamber of Commerce
- » Hungarian PM Orban: We Must End Europe's Sovietisation