China's Ex Minister Sentenced to Death for Corruption
China’s former Railways Minister has been sentenced to death for bribery and abuse of power in one of the country's highest-level corruption cases for decades.
Liu Zhijun was sentenced to death, suspended for two years, by a court in Beijing, the official Xinhua News Agency reported on Monday.
Liu, 60, who oversaw the ministry's high-profile bullet train development, was accused of accepting massive bribes and steering lucrative projects to associates.
After two years, such sentences typically are reduced to life in prison if the inmate shows good behavior, but Liu will spend at least ten years in jail.
- » Europol Warns of New IS Terror Tactics in Europe
- » France's Hollande Not to Seek 2nd Term
- » Erdogan: Turkey Has Lost Its Patience Regarding EU Accession
- » EP Approves EU-USA Agreement on Personal Data Protection
- » Famous Media Boss Arrested in Turkey
- » Turkey’s AKP, Opposition Reach Agreement on Constitutional Amendments