China's Ex Minister Sentenced to Death for Corruption
China’s former Railways Minister has been sentenced to death for bribery and abuse of power in one of the country's highest-level corruption cases for decades.
Liu Zhijun was sentenced to death, suspended for two years, by a court in Beijing, the official Xinhua News Agency reported on Monday.
Liu, 60, who oversaw the ministry's high-profile bullet train development, was accused of accepting massive bribes and steering lucrative projects to associates.
After two years, such sentences typically are reduced to life in prison if the inmate shows good behavior, but Liu will spend at least ten years in jail.
- » Huge Explosion Rocks Istanbul Metro Station
- » Turkey's Erdogan 'Ready to Stand Down' If IS Oil Trade Claims Are Proven
- » German Govt Endorses Military Mission to Back Anti-IS Fight in Syria
- » PM Cameron to Ask Parliament to Expand UK Anti-IS Strikes to Syria Wednesday
- » German Military Rule out Cooperation with Syria Govt in Anti-IS Strikes
- » Obama Expresses Regret to Putin Over Downed Su-24 Bomber