China's Ex Minister Sentenced to Death for Corruption
China’s former Railways Minister has been sentenced to death for bribery and abuse of power in one of the country's highest-level corruption cases for decades.
Liu Zhijun was sentenced to death, suspended for two years, by a court in Beijing, the official Xinhua News Agency reported on Monday.
Liu, 60, who oversaw the ministry's high-profile bullet train development, was accused of accepting massive bribes and steering lucrative projects to associates.
After two years, such sentences typically are reduced to life in prison if the inmate shows good behavior, but Liu will spend at least ten years in jail.
- » EU to impose sanctions on Russia Monday
- » Missing Malaysian Plane Tracked Off Western Coast – Report
- » Macedonia with Highest Share of Female MPs in Balkans
- » Stolen Passports on Disappeared Malaysia Plane Are 'No Terror Link'
- » Moscow Approves Humanitarian Aid to Sevastopol
- » Yanukovych: I Will Return to Kiev