China's Ex Minister Sentenced to Death for Corruption
China’s former Railways Minister has been sentenced to death for bribery and abuse of power in one of the country's highest-level corruption cases for decades.
Liu Zhijun was sentenced to death, suspended for two years, by a court in Beijing, the official Xinhua News Agency reported on Monday.
Liu, 60, who oversaw the ministry's high-profile bullet train development, was accused of accepting massive bribes and steering lucrative projects to associates.
After two years, such sentences typically are reduced to life in prison if the inmate shows good behavior, but Liu will spend at least ten years in jail.
- » Second Night of Unrest in Ferguson, Protests Held Across US
- » French President Suspends Delivery of First Mistral Warship to Russia
- » Turkey 'in Talks' with Westinghouse on Third NPP
- » Dozens Plunder Ferguson after Court Ruling on Michael Brown
- » Russia Halts Coal Supplies to Ukraine
- » EU High Representative Calls for Restart in West-Russia Relationship