Ex Bulgarian Intelligence Chief Indicted for Embezzlement
The Military Prosecutor's Office in Sofia has submitted an indictment against Kircho Kirov, former director of the National Intelligence Service (NIS), on charges of large-scale embezzlement.
Following an investigation conducted by a team of prosecutors and military investigating magistrates, Kirov faces charges of embezzling public funds worth nearly BGN 5 M denominated in EUR, USD and BGN for a period of five years (2007-2011) in his capacity as Director of NIS.
To facilitate the embezzlement, Kirov prepared over 1100 fraudulent documents certifying nonexistent official costs, according to the press office of the prosecuting authority.
Under Bulgaria's Penal Code, the offence is punishable by 10-20 years of imprisonment and confiscation of the entire or part of the property of the offender.
- » Bulgaria Busts Int'l Antiquities Trafficking Ring
- » TIR Truck Driver Sentenced to Life Imprisonment in Iran Returned to Bulgaria
- » Sofia Court Freezes Property of Majority Owner of Bulgaria's Corpbank
- » Bulgaria's Police Busts Fake Passports Ring
- » Tax Agency Employee Murdered in Bulgaria's Capital
- » Bulgarian Prostitution Ring Busted by Spanish Police