Ex Bulgarian Intelligence Chief Indicted for Embezzlement
The Military Prosecutor's Office in Sofia has submitted an indictment against Kircho Kirov, former director of the National Intelligence Service (NIS), on charges of large-scale embezzlement.
Following an investigation conducted by a team of prosecutors and military investigating magistrates, Kirov faces charges of embezzling public funds worth nearly BGN 5 M denominated in EUR, USD and BGN for a period of five years (2007-2011) in his capacity as Director of NIS.
To facilitate the embezzlement, Kirov prepared over 1100 fraudulent documents certifying nonexistent official costs, according to the press office of the prosecuting authority.
Under Bulgaria's Penal Code, the offence is punishable by 10-20 years of imprisonment and confiscation of the entire or part of the property of the offender.
- » Ex Bulgarian Public Official Gets 2 Years in Jail for Leaking Wiretapping Data
- » Bulgarian Court Increases Prison Sentence of Pazardzhik Imam over Preaching Radical Islam
- » Bulgaria Police Detain 35 Migrants in Downtown Sofia
- » Bulgaria Seizes 5.6 Kg Heroin at Border with Turkey
- » Bulgarians Arrested in UK over Drug Trafficking
- » Over 500 Bulgarians Become Trafficking Victims A Year