Ex Bulgarian Intelligence Chief Indicted for Embezzlement
The Military Prosecutor's Office in Sofia has submitted an indictment against Kircho Kirov, former director of the National Intelligence Service (NIS), on charges of large-scale embezzlement.
Following an investigation conducted by a team of prosecutors and military investigating magistrates, Kirov faces charges of embezzling public funds worth nearly BGN 5 M denominated in EUR, USD and BGN for a period of five years (2007-2011) in his capacity as Director of NIS.
To facilitate the embezzlement, Kirov prepared over 1100 fraudulent documents certifying nonexistent official costs, according to the press office of the prosecuting authority.
Under Bulgaria's Penal Code, the offence is punishable by 10-20 years of imprisonment and confiscation of the entire or part of the property of the offender.
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain Three Dutch Citizens Suspected of Terrorism
- » Bulgaria Refuses to Extradite Len Homeniuk to Kyrgyzstan
- » Ex Chair of Varna Administrative Court Conclusively Convicted in Bribery Case
- » Bulgarian Police Detain 30 Illegal Migrants in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Railway Workers Find Abandoned Bag with 2.8kg of TNT near Tracks
- » Bulgarian Customs Seize 42 Kg Heroin Hidden in Truck’s Wheels