Bulgarian Mother-of-Two Goes Home Fearing US Extradition
A Bulgarian mother of two will await at her home, not in prison a court ruling on whether to be handed over to US justice and face nearly 70 years in prison.
This is the decision of Bulgaria's Court of Appeals, which released on Tuesday Gergana Chervenkova on a bail of BGN 1000.
At its next hearing on July 19 the Bulgarian Court will then have to decide whether to pass Chervenkova to American justice. In the US she may face up to 68 years in prison.
Gergana Chervenkova is facing extradition to the US on allegations of being part of a group for unauthorized online drug trade in her capacity of financial manager for the British company "Euromedonline Ltd."
The US authorities have sent statements, according to which Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents have solid evidence the Bulgarian was involved in the unlawful sale of drugs.
Chervenkova worked in the commercial agency "BG Global Services", which is a service company of "Euromedonline Ltd." Her role was to process weekly reports from the sales system and to calculate the accumulated fees and commissions for doctors and pharmacies based on sales realized through the site. Cherevenkova's responsibilities did not involve selling drugs.
The former Interior Minister from Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) party, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, however, stated Chervenkova was the head of the organized criminal group. He also said that her arrest happened due to good cooperation between Bulgarian and US authorities.
- » The Authorities Seized a Painting by Salvador Dali from Art Smugglers
- » Between 10-15% of Young People in Bulgaria Fall Victims to Human Trafficking
- » Thousands of Textile Products with the Logo of Famous Brands were Detained аt Kapitan Andreevo
- » 20 Arrested in Joint Police-Prosecutor’s Office Operation across Bulgaria
- » Bomb Exploded in front of a Police Station in Sweden
- » 2 Police Officers Arrested and Charged with Drug Distribution and Taking Bribes