Bulgarian Mother-of-Two Goes Home Fearing US Extradition
A Bulgarian mother of two will await at her home, not in prison a court ruling on whether to be handed over to US justice and face nearly 70 years in prison.
This is the decision of Bulgaria's Court of Appeals, which released on Tuesday Gergana Chervenkova on a bail of BGN 1000.
At its next hearing on July 19 the Bulgarian Court will then have to decide whether to pass Chervenkova to American justice. In the US she may face up to 68 years in prison.
Gergana Chervenkova is facing extradition to the US on allegations of being part of a group for unauthorized online drug trade in her capacity of financial manager for the British company "Euromedonline Ltd."
The US authorities have sent statements, according to which Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents have solid evidence the Bulgarian was involved in the unlawful sale of drugs.
Chervenkova worked in the commercial agency "BG Global Services", which is a service company of "Euromedonline Ltd." Her role was to process weekly reports from the sales system and to calculate the accumulated fees and commissions for doctors and pharmacies based on sales realized through the site. Cherevenkova's responsibilities did not involve selling drugs.
The former Interior Minister from Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) party, Tsvetan Tsvetanov, however, stated Chervenkova was the head of the organized criminal group. He also said that her arrest happened due to good cooperation between Bulgarian and US authorities.
- » Bulgaria’s Sopharma CEO Ognian Donev Charged with BGN 63 M Tax Evasion
- » Prosecuting Authority Resubmits Indictment against ex-Deputy Parliament Speaker Hristo Biserov
- » Austrian Police Find 42 Migrants Crammed into Bulgarian-registered Van
- » Head of Bulgaria’s National Science Fund Arrested on Suspicion of Murder
- » Bulgarian Prosecutors Extend Deadline for Investigation of 2012 Burgas Bus Bombing
- » Anti-Mafia Unit of Bulgaria’s Interior Ministry Neutralized 17 Crime Groups since February 24