Sofia Prosecuting Authority Initiates Proceedings over Beating of Dogan's Attacker
The Sofia Regional Prosecutor's Office has initiated pre-trial proceedings against an unknown perpetrator over the beating of Oktay Enimehmedov by delegates of the ethnic Turkish party Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS).
On January 19, while long-time DPS leader Ahmed Dogan was delivering a speech at a national congress of the party in Sofia, 25-year-old Oktay Enimehmedov walked onstage, pointing a gas pistol at Dogan.
The pistol misfired and Enimehmedov was taken to the ground and brutally beaten by DPS delegates.
Responding to live footage from the congress, citizens of Sofia, Varna, Burgas, and Plovdiv staged protests, demanding that the aggressive DPS members be brought to justice.
Rusi Alexiev, Spokesperson for the Sofia Regional Prosecutor's Office, made clear that witnesses were being examined and the authorities were going through CCTV footage and photos.
Alexiev, as cited by the Bulgarian Telegraph Agency (BTA), explained that the faces of the attackers would be identified through a technical expert report.
He said that the prosecuting authority was doing everything possible to complete the proceedings in the shortest time possible.
Enimehmedov has been remanded in custody and faces hooliganism and death threat charges.
- » Migrant Smuggling Network Dismantled Near Dunav Bridge Checkpoint
- » Man’s Body Found in Front of Residential Building in Sofia, Regions is Closed Off
- » Car Explodes in Yahinovo Village, One Person Detained
- » Sofia Regional Prosecutor’s Office Detains 49-year-old Man Accused of Murder in Etropole Town
- » About 10 Cars Burn Down at a Parking Lot on Montevideo Str.
- » Man and Woman Detained For the Murder of the Taxi Driver in Varna