Demonstrators Blockade Main Varna Boulevard
About 100 demonstrators have blockaded Saturday the main "Maria Louisa" boulevard in the Bulgarian Black Sea city of Varna.
Citizens started to gather at 11 am before the building of the City Hall. It emerged that from now on their main goal is the self-dissolution of the Municipal Council.
The disgruntled people, however, demand from the Council to adopt all key decisions for the normal functioning of the city before dissolving.
Other demands include halting all deals involving municipal properties, a probe of all public tenders, an audit of all municipal companies, and a civic quota in all committees of the Council.
Some, however, have voiced disagreement with the dissolution over fears it would lead to chaos in the city.
The procession on the boulevard is held in strong police presence. The demonstrators are shouting "Resignation, "Mafia," and "Join Us."
Another rally against construction in the city's beautiful Maritime Garden is expected later in the day.
Meanwhile, about 50 people protested at Varna's railroad station against the privatization of the indebted State-owned railway company BDZ. They sat on train tracks blocking the train departing for the city of Dobrich.
Police intervened and freed the tracks by negotiating with the demonstrators and later pushing them aside.
Small demonstrations against the privatization of BDZ were also held in the capital Sofia and the other Black Sea city of Burgas.
- » Blast at Explosives Factory in NW Bulgaria Cuts Off Power Supply to 2 Hydropower Plants
- » Fire Safety Service Holds Emergency Meeting over Blast at Explosives Factory in NW Bulgaria
- » Blast at Explosives Plant in NW Bulgaria Leaves at least 2 Injured, over 10 Feared Dead
- » 600 Thousand Bulgarians Suffer from Diabetes – Expert
- » Donations in Bulgaria Hit Record Low in 2013
- » Grigor Dimitrov Tops Forbes Bulgaria Celebrity List