The Education, Stupid!
Bulgaria's crumbling is escalating – attack on party leader, shootout in downtown Sofia, kidnapping, wave of suicides, massive, endless rallies against poverty, monopolies, mafia, stagnation and corruption, rotting the State for 23 years, unprecedented self-immolation.
It is crystal clear we need a total overhaul. We must reboot the entire system – parties, judiciary, media...However, the demonstrators' proposals range from semi-reasonable to ridiculous and absurd.
Obviously, instead of the snubbing of the country's "elite," along with all other reforms, we must finally put to the forefront the long-delayed and never-implemented one in education. So that Bulgarians learn the lessons of democracy in school first, not on the streets.
So that they become aware of the meaning of words such as nationalization, abolishing all parties, ruling by people's committees, parliamentary republic, regime; understand that no Constitution, no matter how perfect, would help if there isn't rule of law, etc., etc.
Rote learning of facts, memorizing clichés, and boredom prevail in Bulgarian schools. Role playing in staging debates, argumentation, analyses of events are rare, even unknown.
The President listed the education reform among the top three priorities of the caretaker government. Hopefully, this time around it will become reality, instead of an empty promise.
- » Turkish Stream Can’t Be Substitute for Ukraine’s Gas Transit System – EU Energy Chief
- » Joining Euro to Have Positive Impact on Bulgaria's Economy - Experts
- » Ivan Krastev for FT: Would Russia Try to Destabilise Europe's 'Soft Underbelly'?
- » Charlie Hebdo: More Than Pens Will Be Needed Against Guns
- » Shooting at Charlie Hebdo Not Surprising, Prof. Chukov Says
- » 'Islam Needs Reform,' Journalist Ivo Indzhev Says after French Magazine Attack