Bulgaria Celebrates International Women's Day
Bulgarian women celebrate on March 8 the International Women's Day – a holiday that celebrates ladies' economic, political and social achievements.
The International Women's Day established itself as an official holiday in Bulgaria with the arrival of the Socialist regime in Bulgaria in 1944, but its popularity grew immensely in the 1960s. Nowadays the holiday is mostly about paying a tribute to mothers and invloves giving flowers and other gifts.
The history of this day goes back to 1910 when an international conference of working women was held in Copenhagen. Clara Zetkin, leader of the women's office 'for the Social Democratic Party in Germany, tabled the idea of an International Women's Day. She proposed that every year in every country there should be a celebration on the same day, a Women's Day, to press for their demands.
The very first International Women's Day was launched the following year on March 19 and its success exceeded all expectation. In 1913 International Women's Day was transferred to 8 March and this day has remained the global date for International Women's Day ever since.
Novinite.com wishes all women in Bulgaria and around the world a very happy Women's Day!
- » George Soros Donated USD 18 Billion to Open Society Foundations
- » Ed Sheeran Broke his Both Hands, Postponed Concerts in Asia
- » Xi Jinping: China will Fight to Stop Climate Change
- » Andronia Popova - Roni from the Indie Band Nasekomix has Passed Away Aged 44
- » Clashes Between Police and Protesters Against Corruption in Kiev
- » Today is the European Day Against Human Trafficking