Bulgarian EU Commissioner Ruled Out as Interim PM
Bulgarian EU Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva would not be appointed Prime Minister of Bulgaria's caretaker government.
The statement was made by Bulgarian President, Rosen Plevneliev, who is in charge of forming a caretaker Cabinet.
Speaking from Brussels Wednesday evening, the President said Georgieva must continue with her commitments and duties at the European Commission as the latter were also very important for Bulgaria.
This way yet another rumored candidate was ruled out. Plevneliev also denied ever offering her the post, stressing the caretaker government would be announced within the deadline set by the Constitution.
He explained he believed Bulgaria has enough experts who would assume responsibility in these difficult times for the country and do the job.
Plevneliev was in Brussels Wednesday for the official ceremony dedicated to the 70th anniversary of the rescue of Bulgarian Jews from Nazi concentration camps and to discuss the political crisis in Bulgaria with senior EU officials.
The center-right government of Bulgarian PM Boyko Borisov and his Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria, GERB, party resigned on February 20 amid protests against poverty and corruption.
Snap election is to be held May 12, just two months ahead of the regular date in July.
It was also reported on Wednesday that while on route to Brussels, Plevneliev has complained that all potential candidates for caretaker PM keep getting shot down by public criticism or decline the invitation.
- » Bulgaria Continues to Return to Turkey Asylum Seekers
- » Bulgaria, Greece, Romania and Croatia will help the European Integration of the Western Balkans
- » At least 4 Migrants Die as Boat Capsizes in Black Sea
- » Bulgarian President: 'Fight Against Corruption Must be Uncompromising'
- » Head of state: The Strategic Partnership Between Bulgaria and the United States is a Prerequisite For a Far more Active Cooperation in Investments
- » Intensified Police checks During the European Day Without a Road Death