EPP Reiterates Support for Outgoing Bulgarian PM
The European Peoples' Party has reiterated its support for Bulgaria's outgoing Prime Minister Boyko Borisov and his center-right GERB party.
Borisov and his Cabinet surprisingly resigned last Wednesday. The move followed a tumultuous week of public anger over rising electricity prices, corruption and austerity measures that ignited mass protests nationwide.
"Making the decision to resign is never easy. This requires the strength of a statesman," EPP group leader Jeseph Daul has told GERB deputy chairman Tsvetan Tsvetanov over the phone.
"This is the first Bulgarian government has the courage to implement reforms," Daul has added.
Tsvetanov briefed Daul on the current political situation in the country, according to a GERB press release.
Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev has revealed that he is to announce the date for Bulgaria's snap election on Thursday.
- » Bulgaria Remains under EU Monitoring over Macroeconomic Imbalances
- » EU Commission Approves Bulgaria's Human Resources Program
- » Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva to Meet Bulgaria President, PM
- » Bulgaria to Get 6% of Requested EUR 300 M under EU Solidarity Fund
- » PES Leader Stanishev Offers to Help Bulgaria Join Schengen
- » Bulgaria Will Not Sign TTIP Unless US Lifts Visa Requirements - Minister