EPP Reiterates Support for Outgoing Bulgarian PM
The European Peoples' Party has reiterated its support for Bulgaria's outgoing Prime Minister Boyko Borisov and his center-right GERB party.
Borisov and his Cabinet surprisingly resigned last Wednesday. The move followed a tumultuous week of public anger over rising electricity prices, corruption and austerity measures that ignited mass protests nationwide.
"Making the decision to resign is never easy. This requires the strength of a statesman," EPP group leader Jeseph Daul has told GERB deputy chairman Tsvetan Tsvetanov over the phone.
"This is the first Bulgarian government has the courage to implement reforms," Daul has added.
Tsvetanov briefed Daul on the current political situation in the country, according to a GERB press release.
Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev has revealed that he is to announce the date for Bulgaria's snap election on Thursday.
- » EP to Hold Hearing of Bulgarian Commission Designate on June 20
- » Sofia Welcomes Agreement About European Public Prosecutor's Office
- » Bulgaria Wants to be Free of EU Monitoring by End of 2018
- » A Bulgaria to Update Budget of its EU Council Presidency
- » Minister Liliyana Pavlova: 'Europe Will Exist, it is Important in What Format'
- » Bulgaria is on its Way to the Eurozone