Bulgaria's Plevneliev Pledges Adherence to Democratic Principles to Barroso
President Rosen Plevneliev has acquainted President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso with the current situation in Bulgaria and the aspects of the economic and social crisis plaguing the country.
In a phone conversation with the EC President, Plevneliev noted that the processes taking place in Bulgaria after the resignation of the center-right GERB government were democratic and in line with EU values of the rule of law and justice.
The EC President in turn pointed out that the EC was closely monitoring the situation in the country and voiced appreciation for the democratic nature of processes in Bulgaria.
The EC President suggested that the crisis in which Europe was for a fifth year was setting the agenda of politicians both in terms of measures for financial discipline and measures related to stimulating economic growth, the increase of incomes and employment and support for socially underprivileged and people in need.
On March 6, Rosen Plevneliev will pay a one-day working visit to Brussels to meet EC President Barroso and European Council President Herman Van Rompuy, according to a media statement of the President's Office.
Bulgaria's President will also attend a ceremony commemorating 70 years since the saving of Bulgaria's Jews during World War 2 at the European Parliament.
- » President Radev to Participate in Ceremony Marking 60th Anniversary of the Treaties of Rome
- » Donald Tusk To Visit Bulgaria in April
- » Bulgaria's Govt Approves Position for EU Summit Meeting in Rome
- » EP Adopts Resolution on Bulgarians in Albania
- » Expenses for Bulgaria's EU Presidency To Exceed BGN 50 M for 2017
- » EU To Send Experts to Sofia To Help With Presidency Organisation