Bulgaria's Metropolitan Joseph Quits
Metropolitan Joseph, the head of the Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Diocese of the USA, Canada, and Australia, has resigned, according to Bulgarian media.
According to the Trud daily, Joseph wants to return to his home country and has already picked his successor.
Bulgarian Holy Synod sources have told dnevnik.bg that Joseph has considered withdrawing from the post for a while now.
Metropolitan Jospeh is very close with newly elected Bulgarian Orthodox Patriarch Neofit and is likely to head his office.
The news about Neofit's election was announced Sunday by interim Patriarch and Sofia Metropolitan, Kiril. Bulgaria's Patriarch Maxim, who led the Church since 1971, passed away on November 6, 2012, at the age of 98.
- » Death Toll in Italian Earthquake Rises to 247
- » 8-century Old Church in Melnik Now Opens for Visitors
- » Fire on One of Plovdiv's Historic Hills
- » Death Toll from Italian Earthquake Reaches 38
- » Earthquake of 6.2 Magnitude Shakes Central Italy, at least Five Dead
- » Forest Fires near Bulgaria's Harmanli Now Under Control