New Bulgarian Patriarch Serves 1st Liturgy
The new Bulgarian Patriarch and Sofia Metropolitan Neofit will serve his first solemn mass Monday after his election by the Holy Synod and official enthronement one day earlier.
Neofit, formerly a Ruse Metropolitan, prevailed over two other candidates at runoff.
The other two were the Stara Zagora metropolitan Galaktion, and Lovech's Gavriil.
The procession of senior clergy of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church from the building of the Holy Synod to the Alexander Nevsky cathedral, led by Neofit, started at 9 am.
The holy liturgy begins at 9:30 am. A small reception will be held later at the Holy Synod building.
Neofit will be meeting with the President, the Speaker of the Parliament, the outgoing Prime Minister, and other officials on Tuesday.
- » Bulgaria Confirms Participation in 2016 Eurovision Song Contest
- » Second Edition of Morocco Days in Bulgaria Begins in Sofia on November 30
- » First Snow Falls in Bulgaria's Northwest
- » Bulgaria 'Should Accept More Migrants' to Overcome Demographic Crisis
- » Sofia Hosts Third International Literary Festival Between November 25-December 13
- » Passengers Wait for Hours on Planes at Plovdiv Airport