Sofia Subway to Cover 70% of City Area in 2 Years
The Sofia subway network will cover 70% of the territory of the city in two years' time, according to Sofia Mayor Yordanka Fandakova.
Speaking Friday at a press conference, Fandakova presented plans for the expansion of the subway to Sofia Airport and Business Park Sofia.
The event was also attended by Stoyan Bratoev, CEO of municipally-owned Sofia Metropolitan company.
Fandakova, as cited by investor.bg, made clear that the Sofia subway would be extended by two new sections.
She made clear that one subway line would go from the Tsarigradsko Shose Blvd to Sofia Airport.
The Sofia Mayor noted that the end station of the subway line would be a mere 10 meters away from Sofia Airport and would offer a panoramic view of the runways.
She informed that the subway line would be 5km long and would include 4 stations.
Bratoev told journalists that the second subway line would connect the Mladost 1 residential district to Sofia Business Park and would have 3 stations.
He suggested that the stretch would be 2.7km long and was expected to service 45 000 passengers.
The CEO of the Sofia Metropolitan company specified that the Mladost 1 – Sofia Business Park section was to be completed in the first quarter of 2015.
Fandakova informed that the competition in the tenders had reduced the cost of the subway expansion project from the initial EUR 148 M to EUR 115 M.
She also presented plans of the Sofia Municipality for the construction of a third metro diameter, with construction works set to begin in end-2015.
The Sofia Mayor explained that the 17-km subway project would start from the Botevgradsko Shose Blvd, cross the Ovcha Kupel residential district, the end point being the Sofia ring road.
- » Bulgaria Continues to Return to Turkey Asylum Seekers
- » Bulgaria, Greece, Romania and Croatia will help the European Integration of the Western Balkans
- » At least 4 Migrants Die as Boat Capsizes in Black Sea
- » Bulgarian President: 'Fight Against Corruption Must be Uncompromising'
- » Head of state: The Strategic Partnership Between Bulgaria and the United States is a Prerequisite For a Far more Active Cooperation in Investments
- » Intensified Police checks During the European Day Without a Road Death