Bulgarians Expected to Assemble in Support of Resigned PM
A large rally is expected in front of the Bulgarian Parliament Thursday morning, as the house votes the unexpected resignation of Bulgarian PM Boyko Borisov.
Borisov said the cabinet is stepping down Wednesday morning, after protests that had gripped the country failed to abate following a major cabinet reshuffle, and even turned violent.
Some citizens reacted by speaking out against the resignation and showing support for Borisov and his cabinet.
A Facebook page made Wednesday morning following the resignation, has now gathered close to 33,000 'likes'.
Petitions have been started to show the support for the cabinet.
At the same time, it was reported Wednesday that ruling GERB party functionnaires mailed supporters - and civil servants - suggesting they come out for the pro-Borisov rallies.
Minutes before the Parliament sitting, scheduled for 9 am EET, scores of citizens have already assembled in front of the House in central Sofia.
The debate on Borisov's resignation is expected to last around three hours, after which around 12 am, MPs will vote.
- » Bulgarian Is Spoken by 15 Million People Worldwide
- » EU Commission Office in Sofia Evacuated over Fire
- » Bulgaria's National Art Gallery Square 500 Hosts Indonesian Batik, Bali Art Exhibition
- » Abundant Rainfall Causes Flooding in Bulgaria's Kazanlak
- » Three Injured After Mass Fight Between Migrants in Sofia
- » Heavy Traffic Expected Across Bulgaria as Long Weekend Comes to End