Bulgarian Righ-Wing Leader: Govt Resignation Is Defection
The resignation of the Prime Minister is a defection of his ruling party GERB from their duties and responsibilities, according to right-wing leader, Ivan Kostov.
Speaking from the parliamentary tribune, just minutes after PM, Boyko Borisov, announced his decision to resign, the leader of the right-wing Democrats for Strong Bulgaria party, DSB, and former PM declared this move was simply the Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB conceding to the demands of the opposition – the left-wing Bulgarian Socialist Party, BSP, and the ethnic Turkish party Movement for Rights and Freedoms, DPS.
Kostov accused the ruling GERB of defecting at a time when key issues such as wide-spread poverty, high utility bills, fighting cartels and increasing competitiveness must be resolved.
"Borisov simply handed the rule of the country to BSP and DPS. You are acting as a driver demonstratively throwing out the engine key and abandoning a crashed car. GERB’s rule was not a right-wing rule; it was a forgery. Borisov’s attempt to pass the responsibility to DPS will not hold water," the right-wing leader said.
The breaking news came in the aftermath of large-scale protests across the country against high utility bills, leading to clashes with riot police with many injuries and vandalism.
- » Minister Valentin Radev: 'We are Determined to Take All Measures to Stop the Rising Mortality on the Bulgaria's Roads'
- » Minister Nikolay Nankov: E-Vignette System Will be Flexible
- » President Rumen Radev: 'Terrorism is Spreading in Europe and NATO Must Counteract'
- » International Conference on Bulgarian Church’s Contribution to Saving Bulgarian Jews to Take Place in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Helsinki Committee Launches a Campaign for Abolishment
- » 46-Year-Old Man Murdered in Snyagovo Village