Bulgarian Righ-Wing Leader: Govt Resignation Is Defection
The resignation of the Prime Minister is a defection of his ruling party GERB from their duties and responsibilities, according to right-wing leader, Ivan Kostov.
Speaking from the parliamentary tribune, just minutes after PM, Boyko Borisov, announced his decision to resign, the leader of the right-wing Democrats for Strong Bulgaria party, DSB, and former PM declared this move was simply the Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB conceding to the demands of the opposition – the left-wing Bulgarian Socialist Party, BSP, and the ethnic Turkish party Movement for Rights and Freedoms, DPS.
Kostov accused the ruling GERB of defecting at a time when key issues such as wide-spread poverty, high utility bills, fighting cartels and increasing competitiveness must be resolved.
"Borisov simply handed the rule of the country to BSP and DPS. You are acting as a driver demonstratively throwing out the engine key and abandoning a crashed car. GERB’s rule was not a right-wing rule; it was a forgery. Borisov’s attempt to pass the responsibility to DPS will not hold water," the right-wing leader said.
The breaking news came in the aftermath of large-scale protests across the country against high utility bills, leading to clashes with riot police with many injuries and vandalism.
- » Bulgaria Opposition Submits No-Confidence Motion over Healthcare Policies
- » Bulgaria Plans Deeper Army Involvement in Guarding of Borders
- » Bulgaria MPs Grant National Security Body Right to Process Passengers Flight Data
- » Ex-Leader of Bulgaria's DPS Reveals Details on New Political Party
- » Bulgarian PM Appoints Deputy Education Minister
- » Bulgarian TV Show to Submit Petition for Holding Six-Point Referendum