8 Injured in Clashes between Police, Anti-Govt Protesters in Sofia
Several people have been injured in clashes between police and protesters in downtown Sofia on Tuesday evening.
A young boy had his leg broken and an elderly man suffered head injuries, according to reports of Darik radio.
Private TV station bTV coverage showed a police car with a huge blood stain.
bTV reporters informed that many of the protesters who were being taken to the Pirogov hospital in Sofia were 50+ years of age and were hardly likely to have behaved aggressively.
The private TV station reported that the injured had mostly suffered head bruises and knocked-out teeth.
The tension escalated after angry protesters started throwing stones, smoke balls, bottles, and tomatoes at the police.
The protesters started dispersing around 8 pm.
Preliminary reports of bTV indicated that 8 injured had been taken to the Pirogov hospital and no demonstrators had been arrested.
Tuesday's rally in Sofia combined protesters against the abuses of monopolies in Bulgaria and against the approval for the expansion of the Bansko ski zone, as well as a torchlight march of nationalist party Ataka.
- » Three Dead, One in Serious Condition After Car Accidents in Last 24 hours
- » Sunny Weather Today, Maximum Temperatures 31°-36°
- » Two dead, 18 injured in car accidents in last 24 hours
- » Today is the Official Start of Astronomical Summer
- » NIMH: Yellow Code for Strong Wind in 8 Regions
- » SpaceX delays Bulgaria Satellite Again, Plans 'Doubleheader'