8 Injured in Clashes between Police, Anti-Govt Protesters in Sofia
Several people have been injured in clashes between police and protesters in downtown Sofia on Tuesday evening.
A young boy had his leg broken and an elderly man suffered head injuries, according to reports of Darik radio.
Private TV station bTV coverage showed a police car with a huge blood stain.
bTV reporters informed that many of the protesters who were being taken to the Pirogov hospital in Sofia were 50+ years of age and were hardly likely to have behaved aggressively.
The private TV station reported that the injured had mostly suffered head bruises and knocked-out teeth.
The tension escalated after angry protesters started throwing stones, smoke balls, bottles, and tomatoes at the police.
The protesters started dispersing around 8 pm.
Preliminary reports of bTV indicated that 8 injured had been taken to the Pirogov hospital and no demonstrators had been arrested.
Tuesday's rally in Sofia combined protesters against the abuses of monopolies in Bulgaria and against the approval for the expansion of the Bansko ski zone, as well as a torchlight march of nationalist party Ataka.
- » Bulgaria's Rakursi Gallery To Present Moonlight Reflections-Guanlan by Veliko Marinchevski
- » Roma to Make Up 1/4 of New Entries into Bulgaria's Labour Market in 2020
- » Asylum Seekers Protest in Bulgaria over Poor Conditions
- » Unique 4th Century Mosaics Discovered in Plovdiv's Large Basilica
- » Dordrecht Museum To Host Oldest Gold of Humankind Exhibition, Varna Treasure
- » Zamunda.Net, Zamunda.SE Become Inaccessible