Pistorius Charged with Premeditated Murder
Prominent Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius was charged with the premeditated murder of his girlfriened by a South African prosecutor on Wednesday.
The defendant's lawyer has insisted that Reeva Steenkamp's shooting was an accident.
"She couldn't go anywhere. You can run nowhere," prosecutor Gerrie Nel said at a bail hearing, as cited by international media.
Nel told the court that on the night of the killing Mr Pistorius - a double amputee - got up, put on his prostheses, walked seven metres and fired his gun through a bathroom door.
He shot four times and hit Ms Steenkamp three times, the BBC informs.
Defence lawyer Barry Roux told the court his client did not know in advance who was behind the door.
The victim, 30-year-old Reeva Steenkamp, was a well-known South African model. It is believed that she was shot four times.
The 26-year-old suspect was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics.
- » 1.3 % of Eastern Europeans Live In UK - Daily Mail
- » EBRD Acquires Stake in Bucharest Bourse
- » Serbia's EU Membership Tied to Sanctions on Russia - Commissioner
- » Atlantic Council Summit in Istanbul to Focus on Energy Issues
- » Kosovo Parties Agree on Gov't, Isa Mustafa 'to Take Over as PM'
- » Ukraine Opposes Direct Talks with Pro-Russian Rebels