Pistorius Charged with Premeditated Murder
Prominent Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius was charged with the premeditated murder of his girlfriened by a South African prosecutor on Wednesday.
The defendant's lawyer has insisted that Reeva Steenkamp's shooting was an accident.
"She couldn't go anywhere. You can run nowhere," prosecutor Gerrie Nel said at a bail hearing, as cited by international media.
Nel told the court that on the night of the killing Mr Pistorius - a double amputee - got up, put on his prostheses, walked seven metres and fired his gun through a bathroom door.
He shot four times and hit Ms Steenkamp three times, the BBC informs.
Defence lawyer Barry Roux told the court his client did not know in advance who was behind the door.
The victim, 30-year-old Reeva Steenkamp, was a well-known South African model. It is believed that she was shot four times.
The 26-year-old suspect was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics.
- » EU Slaps New Sanctions on Crimea Targeting Energy, Tourism
- » High Rates, Volatile Rouble Increase Risks to Russia’s Economy, Fitch Says
- » Putin Says Russia’s Economic Woes Will Be Over in Two Years
- » EU Parliament Approves Union's Budget for 2015
- » Bulgarian, British PMs to Meet During EU Council Summit
- » Greek Parliament Fails to Elect President in First Round