Pistorius Charged with Premeditated Murder
Prominent Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius was charged with the premeditated murder of his girlfriened by a South African prosecutor on Wednesday.
The defendant's lawyer has insisted that Reeva Steenkamp's shooting was an accident.
"She couldn't go anywhere. You can run nowhere," prosecutor Gerrie Nel said at a bail hearing, as cited by international media.
Nel told the court that on the night of the killing Mr Pistorius - a double amputee - got up, put on his prostheses, walked seven metres and fired his gun through a bathroom door.
He shot four times and hit Ms Steenkamp three times, the BBC informs.
Defence lawyer Barry Roux told the court his client did not know in advance who was behind the door.
The victim, 30-year-old Reeva Steenkamp, was a well-known South African model. It is believed that she was shot four times.
The 26-year-old suspect was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics.
- » Saudi Arabia Evacuates Diplomats While Continuing Airstrikes on Yemen
- » 17 People Killed as Somali Troops Regain Control of Occupied Hotel
- » Israel to Unfreeze Tax Transfers to Palestine
- » Germanwings Co-pilot Wanted to Make His Name Known Worldwide
- » Germanwings Co-pilot Hid Mental Illness from Employer - Prosecutors
- » Turkish President Erdogan Pledges Support for Saudi Arabia Military Operation