Protesters Blockade Major Bulgaria-Greece Road
More than 3000 protesters rallying against the excesses of Bulgaria's three power utilities – CEZ, EVN, and Energo-Pro – blockaded Sunday the major road between Sofia and the Greek border.
The E-79 road was blockaded for more than two hours Sunday afternoon near the Southwestern city of Blagoevgrad as part of the national day of protests against the monopolies.
The protesters refused to agree to the calls made by the protest organizers to let through some of the vehicles trying to leave the city of Blagoevgrad through the main road.
The protesters threatened to stay on the road until somebody from the government comes over to talk to them.
The police failed to prevent the road blockade and did not try to tackle the protesters. Large-scale protests were held in Sofia, Varna, Plovdiv, and Veliko Tarnovo. Clashes are reported to have erupted only in Sofia.
- » Nearly a Million Bulgarians have Health Problems
- » Large Oil Refinery in Texas is on Fire
- » April,20 - Hristo Prodanov is Becoming a Hero, Climbing Mount Everest Without the Use of Supplementary Oxygen
- » Spring Brings us Good Weather over the Weekend and after that
- » Injured Police Officers in Violent Clashes in Paris (Video)
- » Bulgarian Photographer Took First Prize of a Prestigious Competition