Russian Orthodox Cleric Deems Devastating Meteorite 'God's Sign'
The meteorite which injured hundreds of people in Russia's Chelyabinsk Region on Friday was "the Lord's message to humanity," according to Metropolitan of Chelyabinsk and Zlatoust Feofan
"From the Scriptures, we know that the Lord often sends people signs and warnings via natural forces," the Metropolitan declared.
"I think that not only for the Ural [regions] residents, but for the whole of humanity, the meteorite is a reminder that we live in fragile and unpredictable world," the clergyman said, as cited by RIA Novosti.
He called on the people to support each other and pray to God in thanks for saving the world from a devastating disaster.
Hundreds of people have sought medical aid after the meteorite hit Russia early on Friday. Thousands of buildings were affected by shock waves from the meteorite as it passed through the atmosphere at supersonic speed.
Many local residents will have to patch up their broken windows, with temperatures likely to drop as low as 17 degrees Celsius (1.4 Fahrenheit) in the region overnight.
- » Oil Prices Sharply Increased the Reason for This Is the Threat of the United States to Impose New Sanctions on Venezuela
- » Chelsea Owner Roman Abramovich has to Prove the Origin of his Money to Obtain a British Visa
- » Famous French Director and Producer Luc Besson Accused of Rape
- » An Electronic Cigarette Exploded and Killed a Man in the United States
- » FT: Macron Warns against Hasty EU Enlargement at the Sofia Summit
- » Remarks by President Donald Tusk after the EU-Western Balkans Summit