Fule Cancels Macedonia Visit over Political Stalemate
EU Enlargement Commissioner Stefan Fule has canceled a planned trip to Skopje next week over the country's political wranglings.
Fule had originally intended to visit Skopje in the context of the High Level Accession Dialogue (HLAD) with the country.
"However, in light of the current political impasse, I do not consider that my visit to discuss these issues would be appropriate at this particular time," Fule has said in a statement.
"I am frustrated by the lack of progress in putting an end to the political stalemate," he declared.
The EU Enlargement Commissioner referred to an incident in December when the Macedonian opposition was thrown out of parliament. Disagreement over the country's budget turned violent on December 24, prompting the opposition to boycott parliament. However, he added that "the current situation is unfortunately putting this opportunity at risk."
Fule noted that there had been an opportunity for the Balkan country to take forward EU-mandated reforms in order to open up the possibility of beginning accession talks. However, he added that "the current situation is unfortunately putting this opportunity at risk."
- » Qatar Denies Intercepting Emirati Civilian Aircraft
- » Macedonia Вill be a NATO Мember, Sergei Lavrov
- » Bulgarian Scientific Project Participates in a Million Dollar Competition
- » Pope Francis Heading to Chile, Peru Amid Scandal
- » There are Fights at the Airport of Libyan Capital Tripoli
- » Erdogan's Operation Against the Kurds in Syria can Begin at any Moment