US Republicans Block Hagel for Defense Secretary
Republicans in the US Senate have blocked Chuck Hagel's candidacy for the position of a Defense Secretary.
By a 58-40 vote, Republicans managed to postpone the final vote on Hagel's appointment with 10 days, during which the house will have further time to question the candidate.
The White House has reacted sharply, saying that the delay interferes with national security, in particular with further steps to be taken in Afghanistan.
It called for national unity and cooperation with Republicans in matters of national interest.
As a matter of fact, Chuck Hagel is a former Republican Senator.
However, he has become famous for his moderate stance towards Iran and not unconditional support for Israel.
- » Clashes Near Ukraine’s Parliament Deepen Rifts in Ruling Coalition
- » EU to Extend Sanctions Against Russian, Ukrainian Individuals, Companies
- » Greek Authorities Detain Bulgarian Human Trafficker in Thessaloniki
- » Austrian Policemen Investigating Death of Migrants in Truck to Arrive in Bulgaria
- » Islamic State Battling Syrian Rebel Groups 10 km from Central Damascus
- » Bulgaria Hosting International Southeast European Studies Conference