US Republicans Block Hagel for Defense Secretary
Republicans in the US Senate have blocked Chuck Hagel's candidacy for the position of a Defense Secretary.
By a 58-40 vote, Republicans managed to postpone the final vote on Hagel's appointment with 10 days, during which the house will have further time to question the candidate.
The White House has reacted sharply, saying that the delay interferes with national security, in particular with further steps to be taken in Afghanistan.
It called for national unity and cooperation with Republicans in matters of national interest.
As a matter of fact, Chuck Hagel is a former Republican Senator.
However, he has become famous for his moderate stance towards Iran and not unconditional support for Israel.
- » ‘No’ Vote Appears to Be Leading in Greek Referendum After Voting Ends - Polls
- » Russian Space Freighter Carrying 2.4 T Cargo Docks with ISS
- » Tsipras: Greeks Determined to Take Control of Their Own Destiny in Referendum
- » Merkel: Western Balkan States Have Good Prospects to Join EU
- » Greece’s Referendum: Where Do ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ Votes Lead?
- » Tight Race Expected at Greece’s Bailout Referendum