US Republicans Block Hagel for Defense Secretary
Republicans in the US Senate have blocked Chuck Hagel's candidacy for the position of a Defense Secretary.
By a 58-40 vote, Republicans managed to postpone the final vote on Hagel's appointment with 10 days, during which the house will have further time to question the candidate.
The White House has reacted sharply, saying that the delay interferes with national security, in particular with further steps to be taken in Afghanistan.
It called for national unity and cooperation with Republicans in matters of national interest.
As a matter of fact, Chuck Hagel is a former Republican Senator.
However, he has become famous for his moderate stance towards Iran and not unconditional support for Israel.
- » Trial Starts in Turkey Against 47 People Accused of Attempting To Kill Erdogan
- » EU Grants EUR 18 M in Humanitarian Aid for Ukraine
- » New Ceasefire Agreement To Enter Into Force in Ukraine
- » Bulgaria Pays EUR 1 M for Court of Human Rights Verdicts
- » Putin Allows Recognition of Passports from Donetsk, Luhansk 'Republics'
- » Schulz Overtakes on Merkel in Chancellor Race by Big Margin - Poll