US Republicans Block Hagel for Defense Secretary
Republicans in the US Senate have blocked Chuck Hagel's candidacy for the position of a Defense Secretary.
By a 58-40 vote, Republicans managed to postpone the final vote on Hagel's appointment with 10 days, during which the house will have further time to question the candidate.
The White House has reacted sharply, saying that the delay interferes with national security, in particular with further steps to be taken in Afghanistan.
It called for national unity and cooperation with Republicans in matters of national interest.
As a matter of fact, Chuck Hagel is a former Republican Senator.
However, he has become famous for his moderate stance towards Iran and not unconditional support for Israel.
- » NATO to Strengthen Baltic Region Defense with Air, Naval Forces
- » Dozens of States Sign Nuclear Weapons Ban Treaty at UN
- » Trump Threatens To ‘Totally Destroy’ North Korea
- » EU Strengthens its Syria Crisis Response Through Additional Funding to UNICEF
- » New Мeasures to Scale up EU Cybersecurity
- » Authorities Evacuated Liverpool Street Underground Station in London