US Republicans Block Hagel for Defense Secretary
Republicans in the US Senate have blocked Chuck Hagel's candidacy for the position of a Defense Secretary.
By a 58-40 vote, Republicans managed to postpone the final vote on Hagel's appointment with 10 days, during which the house will have further time to question the candidate.
The White House has reacted sharply, saying that the delay interferes with national security, in particular with further steps to be taken in Afghanistan.
It called for national unity and cooperation with Republicans in matters of national interest.
As a matter of fact, Chuck Hagel is a former Republican Senator.
However, he has become famous for his moderate stance towards Iran and not unconditional support for Israel.
- » Crimea to Complete Ruble-Switch in Coming Weeks
- » Ukrainian Govt Prepares Amnesty Bill
- » Sunken South Korean Ferry Death Toll at 28
- » Ukrainian Parliament Recommends Resumption Of Mandatory Conscription
- » Putin Admits “Little Green Men” in Crimea Were Russian Troops
- » Two Thirds of Rebel Fighters In Syria Are European Citizens