US Republicans Block Hagel for Defense Secretary
Republicans in the US Senate have blocked Chuck Hagel's candidacy for the position of a Defense Secretary.
By a 58-40 vote, Republicans managed to postpone the final vote on Hagel's appointment with 10 days, during which the house will have further time to question the candidate.
The White House has reacted sharply, saying that the delay interferes with national security, in particular with further steps to be taken in Afghanistan.
It called for national unity and cooperation with Republicans in matters of national interest.
As a matter of fact, Chuck Hagel is a former Republican Senator.
However, he has become famous for his moderate stance towards Iran and not unconditional support for Israel.
- » German President to Meet Party Leaders on Thursday
- » Death Toll Rises to 184 in Attack on Mosque in Egypt's North Sinai
- » Eight North Koreans were Found off the Coast of Japan
- » EU Pushes Reforms as Ukraine Seeks Membership Promise
- » South Korean Scientists have Found an Effective Cure Against Baldness
- » Terrorist Attack in Egypt, Many People Died