US Republicans Block Hagel for Defense Secretary
Republicans in the US Senate have blocked Chuck Hagel's candidacy for the position of a Defense Secretary.
By a 58-40 vote, Republicans managed to postpone the final vote on Hagel's appointment with 10 days, during which the house will have further time to question the candidate.
The White House has reacted sharply, saying that the delay interferes with national security, in particular with further steps to be taken in Afghanistan.
It called for national unity and cooperation with Republicans in matters of national interest.
As a matter of fact, Chuck Hagel is a former Republican Senator.
However, he has become famous for his moderate stance towards Iran and not unconditional support for Israel.
- » Sofia-Istanbul Flights Restored after Airport Terror Attack
- » Russia Extends Food Imports Embargo to End-2017
- » Tusk Rules Out Single Market 'à la carte' for UK
- » Putin, Erdogan Agree to Work Towards Normalisation of Relations
- » One Ukrainian, One Iranian Reported as Victims of Istanbul Airport Terror Attack
- » Sofia Airport Heightens Security Measures After Ataturk Airport Attack