US Republicans Block Hagel for Defense Secretary
Republicans in the US Senate have blocked Chuck Hagel's candidacy for the position of a Defense Secretary.
By a 58-40 vote, Republicans managed to postpone the final vote on Hagel's appointment with 10 days, during which the house will have further time to question the candidate.
The White House has reacted sharply, saying that the delay interferes with national security, in particular with further steps to be taken in Afghanistan.
It called for national unity and cooperation with Republicans in matters of national interest.
As a matter of fact, Chuck Hagel is a former Republican Senator.
However, he has become famous for his moderate stance towards Iran and not unconditional support for Israel.
- » Tsipras Sworn In as Greek Prime Minister
- » SYRIZA Win Pushes Euro to 11-Year Low
- » Greece's SYRIZA, ANEL Agree to Form New Gov't
- » Macedonia's Foreign Minister Visiting Albania to Boost Cooperation
- » SYRIZA Vows to Avoid Grexit as Talks Begin with Independent Greeks
- » Islamic State Claims to Have Killed One Japanese Hostage