Oscar Pistorius Officially Charged with Murder
Prominent Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has been charged with murder after his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead at his home in Pretoria.
The precise circumstances surrounding the incident are unclear.
Initial reports claimed that the suspect may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar and the shooting could have been a result of a Valentine's Day surprise gone wrong.
However, police spokeswoman Denise Beukes has declared that these reports did not come from police.
Police have also noted that there had been previous incidents at the address and described them as "allegations of a domestic nature," BBC says.
The victim, 30-year-old Reeva Steenkamp, was a well-known South African model. It is believed that she was shot four times.
The 26-year-old suspect was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics.
- » Turkey Starts Military Operation in Syria to Push IS Group Back from Border
- » Montenegro’s Igor Luksic Withdraws from Race for Top UN Job
- » Migrant Arrivals by Sea in Europe in 2016 Top 269,000 - IOM
- » Athens Warns of 41,000 Migrants Ready to Go to Western Europe
- » Turkey Recalls Envoy to Vienna ‘to Revise' Ties after Austria Bans Anti-coup Rally
- » Austria’s Interior Minister Proposes No Asylum for Law-Breaking Refugees