Benedict's Brother: Pope was Considering Resignation for Months
The pope's brother, Georg Ratzinger, has said that the pontiff had been advised by his doctor not to take any more transatlantic trips and had been considering a resignation for months.
In a Monday interview for German news agency DPA, 89-year-old priest Georg Ratzinger said his brother was having increasing difficulty walking and that his resignation was part of a "natural process."
"His age is weighing on him," Georg Ratzinger said of his 85-year-old brother. "At this age my brother wants more rest."
Pope Benedict XVI said Monday that he would resign on February 28 over health concerns.
The Vatican spokesperson announced that Pope Benedict XVI would not participate in the conclave to elect his successor.
- » Russia 'Not EU's Strategic Partner Anymore' - Mogherini
- » Turkey Summons US Charge d'Affaires over Spying Report
- » Ukraine Soldiers, Rebels Clash at Luhansk Airport
- » Five Killed in Plane Crash in US Colorado
- » EU Leaders Give Russia 7 Days to Reverse Course in Ukraine or Face New Sanctions
- » NATO to Set up 10,000-Strong Force in Response to Ukraine Crisis