Benedict's Brother: Pope was Considering Resignation for Months
The pope's brother, Georg Ratzinger, has said that the pontiff had been advised by his doctor not to take any more transatlantic trips and had been considering a resignation for months.
In a Monday interview for German news agency DPA, 89-year-old priest Georg Ratzinger said his brother was having increasing difficulty walking and that his resignation was part of a "natural process."
"His age is weighing on him," Georg Ratzinger said of his 85-year-old brother. "At this age my brother wants more rest."
Pope Benedict XVI said Monday that he would resign on February 28 over health concerns.
The Vatican spokesperson announced that Pope Benedict XVI would not participate in the conclave to elect his successor.
- » EU to impose sanctions on Russia Monday
- » Missing Malaysian Plane Tracked Off Western Coast – Report
- » Macedonia with Highest Share of Female MPs in Balkans
- » Stolen Passports on Disappeared Malaysia Plane Are 'No Terror Link'
- » Moscow Approves Humanitarian Aid to Sevastopol
- » Yanukovych: I Will Return to Kiev