Benedict's Brother: Pope was Considering Resignation for Months
The pope's brother, Georg Ratzinger, has said that the pontiff had been advised by his doctor not to take any more transatlantic trips and had been considering a resignation for months.
In a Monday interview for German news agency DPA, 89-year-old priest Georg Ratzinger said his brother was having increasing difficulty walking and that his resignation was part of a "natural process."
"His age is weighing on him," Georg Ratzinger said of his 85-year-old brother. "At this age my brother wants more rest."
Pope Benedict XVI said Monday that he would resign on February 28 over health concerns.
The Vatican spokesperson announced that Pope Benedict XVI would not participate in the conclave to elect his successor.
- » Voting Of Turks Abroad in Constitutional Referendum Begins
- » Turkish Media on Bulgaria's Snap Elections
- » Trump Hands Merkel USD 375 B Bill
- » Le Pen: EU Will Die, Globalists Will Be Defeated
- » Albania Makes Public State Security Files From Hoxha's Regime
- » Wall Street Journal: Defeated Socialists Force GERB To Adopt Milder Stance on Russia