PES Chair Stanishev ahead of Italy Vote: EU Needs Left!
Party of European Socialists chair Sergey Stanishev issued a strong call of support for leftist Italian Democratic Party ahead of general elections February 24-25.
Stanishev, who also chairs Bulgaria's opposition Bulgarian Socialist Party, took party Saturday in the Democratic Party's congress in Turin.
Addressing the party's leader Pier Luigi Bresani, the PES chair said: "We need leaders like you in difficult times like the present moment."
In his speech, Stanishev recalled socialist victories at elections throughout Europe during 2012, mentioning France, Slovakia and Romania.
"In 2013 we will do the same in Bulgaria, so this upsurge will continue," said the socialist leader, referring to upcoming July parliamentary elections in Bulgaria.
Stanishev argued that Malta, and then Germany and Austria in the fall will become part of the same process.
"In this way, the balance of power in Europe will shift and the Old Continent will be freed of the yoke of the rightists," stated he.
At the Turin conference, Stanishev met a number of leading European leftists politicians from different countries.
He held a special meeting with Italian leftist leader Bersani to discuss in detail election strategies.
- » Bulgaria Improves Ranking in EU Funds Implementation
- » EU Court: Bulgaria Breached Antitrust Law during Digital Transition
- » Bulgaria’s PM to Propose System of Combating Human Trafficking at EU Summit
- » Statistics Shows No Restart of Payments to Bulgaria under OP Environment 2007-2013
- » Bulgaria's Public Financial Inspection Establishes 19 Violations in 20 EU-Funded Projects
- » Bulgarian Border Police Records Triple Increase in Illegal Migrant Crossings