UK Finds Bulgarian Midwife Guilty of Misconduct
A British nursing and midwife council panel has found builty on several accounts a Bulgarian midwife after she came close to injecting a new-born baby with an air bubble.
Avramova tried to administer the injection containing an air bubble to the baby on November 27, 2009, while under supervision because her standards of practice had already been questioned.
A Nursing and Midwifery Council panel found Avramova guilty of misconduct and ruled she is unfit to continue working unrestricted as a midwife, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Avramova was found guilty of the majority of the 13 charges against her.
She admitted failing to record the size of a baby's head, telling the panel it was 'just a small error', as well as failing to check patients' name bracelets.
She was cleared of failing to record a baby's heart rate and blood pressure, of poor treatment of two mothers during births in April 2010, and of pulling a baby's head when told to stop.
The panel will now decide what sanction to issue, and Avramova could be struck off the nursing register.
"We are in no doubt your behaviour on the facts found proved fell significantly below the standards expected of a registered midwife", said panel chairman Dr Pamela Ormerod.
"Your deficient clinical care put patients at serious risk of harm.
"As a qualified midwife, you are personally responsible for ensuring your midwifery practice is safe at all times.
"You behaviour goes significantly beyond mere clinical incompetence and does constitute misconduct."
Avramova was among a batch of four Bulgarian midwives recruited by the Royal Surrey County Hospital, in Guildford, to cover staff shortages in June 2009.
- » Human Smuggling in Bulgaria Is Punishable by Ridiculous Fines - Foreign Minister
- » Bulgaria Charges Two People with Making False Identity Documents
- » Sofia Confirms Arrest of 3 Bulgarians in Hungary over Migrant Truck Deaths
- » Three Bulgarians Detained over Death of 71 Migrants in Truck in Austria
- » Bulgarian-Hungarian Smuggling Ring Allegedly Involved in Refugee Truck Death in Austria
- » Police in Plovdiv Bust Printing House for Fake Documents