EU Urges Turkey to Respect Freedom of Speech
Council of Europe head Thorbjorn Jagland has called upon EU hopeful Turkey to to improve its dismal record on freedom of expression.
"There are still 450 cases pending against Turkey in the "freedom of expression" domain before the European Court of Human Rights," Jagland told reporters in Ankara.
"This is simply too much," he added.
Turkey is the world's worst jailer of journalists, with a total of 49 journalists behind bars, according to a report published recently by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).
- » Dutch Call for Deportation of Putin's Daughter From the Netherlands
- » Missing Air Algerie Passenger Plane with 116 on Board Crashes in Niger
- » Algerian Plane with 110 Passengers On Board Goes Missing
- » Taiwan Plane Crash Leaves over 40 Dead
- » Donbass Rebels 'Down Two Ukrainian Su-25 Fighters'
- » Germany Questions Appropriateness of Russia's Hosting FIFA World Cup