EU Urges Turkey to Respect Freedom of Speech
Council of Europe head Thorbjorn Jagland has called upon EU hopeful Turkey to to improve its dismal record on freedom of expression.
"There are still 450 cases pending against Turkey in the "freedom of expression" domain before the European Court of Human Rights," Jagland told reporters in Ankara.
"This is simply too much," he added.
Turkey is the world's worst jailer of journalists, with a total of 49 journalists behind bars, according to a report published recently by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).
- » NATO to Set up 10,000-Strong Force in Response to Ukraine Crisis
- » IMF Disburses Loan Tranche to Ukraine but Says Fighting Poses Risk
- » Rasmussen: NATO Will Respect Ukraine’s Potential Decision to Join
- » EU May File WTO Complaint over Russia's Food Embargo
- » UNHCR: Syrian Refugees Top 3 Million
- » 5.8-Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Southern Greece