EU Urges Turkey to Respect Freedom of Speech
Council of Europe head Thorbjorn Jagland has called upon EU hopeful Turkey to to improve its dismal record on freedom of expression.
"There are still 450 cases pending against Turkey in the "freedom of expression" domain before the European Court of Human Rights," Jagland told reporters in Ankara.
"This is simply too much," he added.
Turkey is the world's worst jailer of journalists, with a total of 49 journalists behind bars, according to a report published recently by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).
- » Russia 'Not EU's Strategic Partner Anymore' - Mogherini
- » Turkey Summons US Charge d'Affaires over Spying Report
- » Ukraine Soldiers, Rebels Clash at Luhansk Airport
- » Five Killed in Plane Crash in US Colorado
- » EU Leaders Give Russia 7 Days to Reverse Course in Ukraine or Face New Sanctions
- » NATO to Set up 10,000-Strong Force in Response to Ukraine Crisis