EU Urges Turkey to Respect Freedom of Speech
Council of Europe head Thorbjorn Jagland has called upon EU hopeful Turkey to to improve its dismal record on freedom of expression.
"There are still 450 cases pending against Turkey in the "freedom of expression" domain before the European Court of Human Rights," Jagland told reporters in Ankara.
"This is simply too much," he added.
Turkey is the world's worst jailer of journalists, with a total of 49 journalists behind bars, according to a report published recently by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).
- » Greece Repays First Installment Worth EUR 310 M of IMF Loan
- » Nemtsov's Girlfriend 'Received Death Threats'
- » Putin Slashes Russian Government Salaries by 10%
- » Russia's Navalny Freed from Detention
- » IS Militants Bulldozed Iraq's Ancient City of Nimrud
- » UK's Hammond States EU Readiness for New Sanctions against Russia