EU Urges Turkey to Respect Freedom of Speech
Council of Europe head Thorbjorn Jagland has called upon EU hopeful Turkey to to improve its dismal record on freedom of expression.
"There are still 450 cases pending against Turkey in the "freedom of expression" domain before the European Court of Human Rights," Jagland told reporters in Ankara.
"This is simply too much," he added.
Turkey is the world's worst jailer of journalists, with a total of 49 journalists behind bars, according to a report published recently by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).
- » Turkish PM Warns Brussels: Alternatives to EU Exist
- » France To Dismantle "Jungle" Camp in Calais
- » Greece Insists On Implementation of Quota Principle for Refugees
- » Bulgarian Citizens in Turkey: We Will Vote In Spite of Discrimination
- » Walloon Government Blocks CETA
- » Spain's Constitutional Court Annuls Catalonia's Corrida Ban