EU Urges Turkey to Respect Freedom of Speech
Council of Europe head Thorbjorn Jagland has called upon EU hopeful Turkey to to improve its dismal record on freedom of expression.
"There are still 450 cases pending against Turkey in the "freedom of expression" domain before the European Court of Human Rights," Jagland told reporters in Ankara.
"This is simply too much," he added.
Turkey is the world's worst jailer of journalists, with a total of 49 journalists behind bars, according to a report published recently by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).
- » Greece 'to Make New Proposal Wednesday'
- » Eurogroup Rejects Greek Request for Extension of Bailout
- » Latest EU-Facilitated Serbia-Kosovo Dialogue Fails to Reach Agreement
- » Eurogroup to Discuss Latest Greek Proposal at Emergency Conference Call
- » No Bulgarian Troops Injured in Taliban Suicide Bombing in Kabul
- » Greek Government Submits New Proposal to Creditors in Attempt to Avert Default