EU Urges Turkey to Respect Freedom of Speech
Council of Europe head Thorbjorn Jagland has called upon EU hopeful Turkey to to improve its dismal record on freedom of expression.
"There are still 450 cases pending against Turkey in the "freedom of expression" domain before the European Court of Human Rights," Jagland told reporters in Ankara.
"This is simply too much," he added.
Turkey is the world's worst jailer of journalists, with a total of 49 journalists behind bars, according to a report published recently by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).
- » NATO Starts Flights over Romania and Poland to Monitor Ukraine
- » Huge Explosion Hits Manhattan, New York, Buildings Collapse
- » EU Considers Sanctions Against the US Because Of Surveillance
- » Ukrainian PM to Meet Obama at White House
- » New Public Sector Strike in Greece Calls for End to Austerity
- » Last Communication of Disappeared Malayisian Plane Revealed