EU Urges Turkey to Respect Freedom of Speech
Council of Europe head Thorbjorn Jagland has called upon EU hopeful Turkey to to improve its dismal record on freedom of expression.
"There are still 450 cases pending against Turkey in the "freedom of expression" domain before the European Court of Human Rights," Jagland told reporters in Ankara.
"This is simply too much," he added.
Turkey is the world's worst jailer of journalists, with a total of 49 journalists behind bars, according to a report published recently by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).
- » Russia Urges Iran to Stick to the Nuclear Deal From 2015
- » Libyans 'Threatened' Med migrant Aid Boat
- » Philippine Police Killed 32 People in Order to Scare Drug Cartels
- » Turkey Says Kurdish Iraq's Referendum Could Worsen Situation, Lead to Civil War
- » Dozens Killed in Suicide Attack in Northeastern Nigeria
- » Facebook and Google Demand in Court Limited Access of Authorities to User Data