EU Urges Turkey to Respect Freedom of Speech
Council of Europe head Thorbjorn Jagland has called upon EU hopeful Turkey to to improve its dismal record on freedom of expression.
"There are still 450 cases pending against Turkey in the "freedom of expression" domain before the European Court of Human Rights," Jagland told reporters in Ankara.
"This is simply too much," he added.
Turkey is the world's worst jailer of journalists, with a total of 49 journalists behind bars, according to a report published recently by the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ).
- » Arab Countries to Join US Air Strikes against IS
- » Sweden's Center-Left Tipped for Comeback after Sunday Elections
- » Crimea Holds First Parliamentary Elections After Annexation by Russia
- » North Korea Sentences US National to 6 Years Hard Labor
- » Islamic State Purportedly Executes British Hostage David Haines
- » US Declares “War” On IS