MP: UK Derides Bulgarians
Bulgarian independent Member of the Parliament, Kiril Gumnerov, voiced indignation about Bulgarian politicians keeping silent all while another EU Member State is deriding Bulgaria.
Speaking for Nova TV Monday, Gumnerov said that this silence was as scandalous as the campaign in Great Britain against Bulgarians and Romanians.
According to him, the racist policies are not a trade mark just of the UK, as France has been deporting Bulgarian Roma for a while now.
The Member of the Parliament from the ruling, center-right Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB, Svetlin Tanchev, said in the same broadcast that there was no need for the Cabinet to react strongly since the anti-immigration campaign was not the official position of Great Britain, but of a marginal political formation, and its leader, Nigel Farage.
The MP from the left-wing, opposition Coalition for Bulgaria and former Finance Minister, Plamen Oresharski, explained the Romanian Prime Minister has already traveled to Brussels to address the issue before the President of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso, while Bulgaria is running late in reacting.
"We must work on it on diplomatic level since we can gather the support of other countries. We should not sit on the sidelines observing with generosity such processes because they are a threat for the stability of the entire European Union. Great Britain has all sorts and numerous immigrants and only the Bulgarians and the Romanians are worrying them. This is strange and against the EU principle of free movement of people and goods. Our country must take a firmer stand," Oresharski stressed, also speaking before Nova TV.
Farage's statements stirred strong reactions and public outcry in Bulgaria and Romania.
Bulgarian, Ralitsa Behar, sent Farage an open letter, which provoked a wave of comments in social networks. The letter was published first by Novinite.com and Novinite.bg. In it she asks Farage to visit Bulgaria to see how wrong he is in his opinion about the country and its citizens.
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: Europe's Stability and Future Goes Through the European Perspective and the Connectivity of the Western Balkans
- » Bulgarian PM: Bulgarian People Continue to Believe in the EU
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: No New Recommendations From EC, Great Progress has been Made
- » EC Report: Bulgaria has Made Progress, but Still More Work is Needed
- » Frans Timmermans: We See Progress in Many Areas in Bulgaria, but Still More Work is Needed
- » EU Commissioner Maria Gabriel: Open Dialogue is the Key to Solving the "Fake News"