Smoking in Public Spaces Doomed to Fail in Bulgarian Referendum - Poll
Supporters of the existing full smoking ban for enclosed public spaces in Bulgaria will win overwhelmingly if a referendum takes place on the issue, according to a poll.
The latest poll conducted by the National Center for Study of Public Opinion has shown that approximately 61% of Bulgarians are in favor of the ban, while 39% are against it.
Smokers, as well as owners of restaurants and bars, have staged a number of protests against the bans since it was imposed in June 2012.
Bulgaria's marginal right-wing Union of Democratic Forces party announced last week that it will start a petition for a referendum on smoking in public spaces.
Parliamentary debates on the full smoking ban imposed in Bulgaria on June 1, 2012, are set to continue.
- » Bulgarian MPs Adopt National Health Strategy 2014-2020
- » Bulgarian Parliament to Vote on National Health Strategy
- » Bulgaria Ranks among Europe's Worst Healthcare Spenders
- » Bulgaria FinMin Downplays Fiscal Benefit of 'Junk Food' Tax Bill
- » 'Junk Food' Tax in Bulgaria Might Range from 3 to 78% - Health Min
- » Salaries in Bulgaria’s Emergency Care Sector to Go Up by 20% as of Jan 2015