Main Stand of Emblematic Sofia Stadium Demolished
Stand A, the main stand of the Georgi Asparuhov stadium in Bulgaria's capital Sofia, was successfully demolished on Sunday.
The football field is used for the host games and training practices of one of the top football teams in Bulgaria –Levski Sofia.
The controlled demolition took place at 4:30 pm local time. Over 300 kilos of explosives were used in the operation.
The demolition marked the start of the complete reconstruction of the stadium that was announced by Levski officials in 2012.
The planned work would take place in three stages - stands A and B (west and south respectively) would be completed for the club's 100th anniversery in May 2014. Stand V (east) would be finished by 2015 and stand G (north) - in 2017.
The construction of the "Georgi Asparuhov" field in "Gerena" started in 1960. It officially opened on March 10, 1963.
Sunday's demolition can be seen HERE.
- » Grigor Dimitrov to Skip Tournament in Washington Over Illness
- » Mountain Auto Rally “Uzana” Cancelled after Fatal Accident
- » Bulgarians Spent Over EUR 104 000 at 2014 World Cup
- » Michael Schumacher Is Showing Signs Of Recovery
- » Grigor Dimitrov Becomes Honorary Citizen of Varna
- » Clashes Break Out In Argentina After World Cup Defeat