Protesters Stop Felling of 200-Year-Old Tree in Sofia
Nearly 100 people gathered in Bulgarian capital Sofia's Ovcha Kupel on Sunday in an effort to rescue a 200-year-old Platanus tree from felling.
Municipal authorities planned to cut down the tree early on Sunday in order to make way for the construction of a new supermarket.
Protesters have pointed out that the tree belongs to an endangered species.
Two 100-year-old trees in the same vicinity were also rescued on Sunday, the Bulgarian National Television has informed.
- » German Court to Decide on Fate of 15 million Diesel Cars
- » Earthquakes with a Force of More than 4 on the Richter Scale Near the Greek Islands of Zakynthos and Crete
- » Cloudy today, Rain in Many Places
- » An Earthquake of Magnitude 4.8 on the Richter Scale in Plovdiv And Asenovgrad
- » The Centuries-old Beech Forests in Central Balkan are Included in an Inter-state Site List of UNESCO
- » The First Plants Appeared 500 Million Years Ago