Protesters Stop Felling of 200-Year-Old Tree in Sofia
Nearly 100 people gathered in Bulgarian capital Sofia's Ovcha Kupel on Sunday in an effort to rescue a 200-year-old Platanus tree from felling.
Municipal authorities planned to cut down the tree early on Sunday in order to make way for the construction of a new supermarket.
Protesters have pointed out that the tree belongs to an endangered species.
Two 100-year-old trees in the same vicinity were also rescued on Sunday, the Bulgarian National Television has informed.
- » Summer Floods Caused Damages Amounting to EUR 400 M
- » Bulgarian Customs Prevent Smuggling of Two Million European Eels
- » Mountain Rescuers Warn of Avalanches in Ski Resorts, Frostbite
- » Extreme Cold, Strong Winds Grip Bulgaria for New Year
- » Code Yellow Warning in Bulgaria for Snow, Gale-Force Winds
- » Bulgaria Warns of Snowfall, Rising River Levels