Protesters Stop Felling of 200-Year-Old Tree in Sofia
Nearly 100 people gathered in Bulgarian capital Sofia's Ovcha Kupel on Sunday in an effort to rescue a 200-year-old Platanus tree from felling.
Municipal authorities planned to cut down the tree early on Sunday in order to make way for the construction of a new supermarket.
Protesters have pointed out that the tree belongs to an endangered species.
Two 100-year-old trees in the same vicinity were also rescued on Sunday, the Bulgarian National Television has informed.
- » Thunderstorms, Hail Expected in Western Bulgaria on Monday
- » Bulgaria at risk of losing more money in EU-funded eco projects
- » Temperatures Sharply Go Down across Bulgaria on Friday
- » Wildfire Danger Extends to 16 Bulgarian Regions on Thursday
- » Heavy Rain, Thunderstorms to Hit Bulgaria on Thursday, Friday
- » Half of Bulgaria Under Highest Fire Danger Alert on Tuesday