Protesters Stop Felling of 200-Year-Old Tree in Sofia
Nearly 100 people gathered in Bulgarian capital Sofia's Ovcha Kupel on Sunday in an effort to rescue a 200-year-old Platanus tree from felling.
Municipal authorities planned to cut down the tree early on Sunday in order to make way for the construction of a new supermarket.
Protesters have pointed out that the tree belongs to an endangered species.
Two 100-year-old trees in the same vicinity were also rescued on Sunday, the Bulgarian National Television has informed.
- » Bulgaria, World Prepare to Switch Off for Earth Hour
- » Intensive Rain Expected Across Bulgaria
- » Bird Flu Caused Death of Pelicans in Bulgaria's Srebarna Reserve
- » Chile Floods Leave 200 Bulgarians Stranded
- » 21 Pelicans Found Dead at Bulgaria's Srebarna Nature Reserve
- » Small 2.9-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Southern Bulgaria