US Confirms Ankara Embassy Blast Was Terrorist Attack
The US State Department has confirmed that a terror attack occurred just outside the US Embassy in Ankara, Turkey.
Officials in Ankara say a suspected suicide bomber detonated an explosive device killing himself and one other person, identified by US Ambassador Francis Ricciardione as an embassy guard.
US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland says the explosion occurred on the perimeter of the embassy.
"We can confirm a terrorist blast at a checkpoint on the perimeter of our embassy compound in Ankara, Turkey, at 1:13 p.m. local time, or 6:15 a.m. EST," Nuland said.
"We are working closely with the Turkish national police to make a full assessment of the damage and the casualties, and to begin an investigation," her statement added.
- » Romania, US to Launch Observation Flights over Russia, Belarus
- » Greek Civil Servants to Stage Strike in Athens
- » Hamas Agrees to New 24-Hour Ceasefire in Gaza
- » Israel Resumes Gaza Offensive after Hamas Rocket Attacks
- » Russia's Foreign Ministry Slams New EU Sanctions
- » EU Imposes Sanctions on Russian Intelligence Chiefs