US Confirms Ankara Embassy Blast Was Terrorist Attack
The US State Department has confirmed that a terror attack occurred just outside the US Embassy in Ankara, Turkey.
Officials in Ankara say a suspected suicide bomber detonated an explosive device killing himself and one other person, identified by US Ambassador Francis Ricciardione as an embassy guard.
US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland says the explosion occurred on the perimeter of the embassy.
"We can confirm a terrorist blast at a checkpoint on the perimeter of our embassy compound in Ankara, Turkey, at 1:13 p.m. local time, or 6:15 a.m. EST," Nuland said.
"We are working closely with the Turkish national police to make a full assessment of the damage and the casualties, and to begin an investigation," her statement added.
- » 'Russian Elon Musk' Raped and Tortured to Death in Custody
- » Bashar Assad Returns Legion d’honneur to France
- » North and South Korea Open Hotline Between Leaders
- » The King of Swaziland Renames the Country 'the Kingdom of eSwatini'
- » Syrians in Turkey Continue to Return Home
- » Majority of Germans Want More Protection From Globalization