Sofia Police Dissipates Ridicule of 'Amateur' Mob Shootout
The man who shot and critically injured Bulgarian mobster Baretata has been a professional killer and sharpshooter, according to an insider police source.
Crime boss, Zlatomir Ivanov aka Baretata (The Beret, The Barret) was shot Tuesday in broad daylight in the vicinity of the main courtroom building in the Bulgarian capital as he was going there for an appeals hearing in an illegal drugs distribution case against him.
The source, quoted by Darik radio Thursday, says the attacker has faced a number of difficulties in the shooting such as displacement and long distance between him and the target. He was also aware that Baretata has been wearing a bulletproof vest and this is why he aimed at the legs and the abdomen knowing such wounds cause massive blood loss.
The killer further had a very short window of opportunity and had to identify the target from afar among his bodyguards who were wearing similar clothing.
The attack has been professionally planned and organized and the shooter has come to the apartment several times prior to it, according to the same source, dissipating initial ridicule the attackers were amateurs for just wounding Baretata in the leg.
Darik further reports that a security camera had taped the attack.
Baretata is in the central life-support ward of the emergency Pirogov hospital on respiratory apparatus and on cardiac medications. He is still in critical condition.
A bodyguard, who returned fire, was also shot in the leg. He is in stable condition.
The shots came from a rooftop apartment of a building across the street from the court. The assailants allegedly set the apartment on fire to cover up tracks.
Police found inside the premises a Kalashnikov machinegun.
- » Suspect for Brutal Murderer of 60-Year-old British Woman Arrested by Bulgarian Police
- » Serbia Police Find Weapons, Ammo in Bulgarian Train
- » Englishwoman Reportedly Found Dead in Bulgarian Village, Murder Suspected
- » Bulgaria’s Sopharma CEO Ognian Donev Charged with BGN 63 M Tax Evasion
- » Prosecuting Authority Resubmits Indictment against ex-Deputy Parliament Speaker Hristo Biserov
- » Austrian Police Find 42 Migrants Crammed into Bulgarian-registered Van