Brazil Fire Caused by Cheap Fireworks - Police
Cheap fireworks meant for outdoor use has caused a deadly nightclub fire in the southern Brazilian city of Santa Maria, police said.
The death toll in Sunday's blaze reached 235 people after a 21-year-old man died of his injuries in hospital.
Police chief Marcelo Arigony said the band had chosen not to buy more expensive indoor flares.
Earlier, a court froze the assets of the owners of the Kiss nightclub.
Four people have been arrested in connection with the blaze, Brazil's deadliest in five decades.
One of those detained is the co-owner of the nightclub.
A member of the band Gurizada Fandangueira, blamed by Arigony for the start of the flames, has also been arrested.
"The pyrotechnics were part of their show. The guys even wore gloves on stage so they wouldn't burn their hands," the policeman – who lost a cousin in the fire – told reporters.
He added that the band chose a USD 0.80 outdoor flare at a local shop over the USD 22 indoor variety.