Shooting at Bulgarian Mobster Baretata Came from Opposite Building
The shooter, who opened fire on alleged top crime boss Zlatomir Ivanov aka Baretata (The Beret, The Barret) in downtown Sofia on Tuesday morning, most probably took aim from the building opposite the Sofia Court House.
The shooting injured both Ivanov and one of his bodyguards.
According to preliminary reports of the Interior Ministry, the shots came from the building opposite the Sofia Court House as Ivanov and his security guards were walking up the stairs on their way to enter the building.
An ambulance was dispatched to the site and Ivanov was taken to the Pirogov hospital.
Ivanov is reportedly undergoing surgery after suffering four gunshots.
Ivanov's bodyguard, who was shot in the leg, has also been taken to the Pirogov hospital but his life is out of danger.
An apartment at the top of the building opposite the Sofia Court House is on fire and firefighters are battling the flames.
After the fire is extinguished, a team of police officers will examine the site.
There is increased police presence in the area and the location has been sealed off.
The perpetrator or perpetrators, as well as the gun used, remain unidentified.
Deputy Sofia City Prosecutor Roman Vasilev, the Prosecutor assigned to the case against Baretata, Biser Kirilov, and Judge Rumyana Chenalova, are also outside the Court House building.
In July 2012, Ivanov was sentenced to 8 years behind bars for participating in an organized crime group, illegal drugs trade, and for plotting the murder of Rumen Stefanov AKA Alf.
- » Minister Valentin Radev: Burgas Has Highest Criminality
- » Record Amount of Heroin Seized at Bulgarian-Romanian Border
- » The Man Injured During the Incident in Sofia’s Vitosha District Has His Life in Danger
- » 57-year-old Man Detained For the Murder of Two People in Sofia’s Vitosha District
- » Two Turkish Citizens Arrested for Drug Distribution in Special Police Raid
- » The Virus WannaCry Affected Computers In Sofia and Varna