YouTube Makes USD 8 M in Ad Revenue from Gangnam Style
Google announced the YouTube page showcasing the "Gangnam Style" video by South Korean rapper Psy has earned USD 8 M in ad revenue.
Google Chief Business Officer Nikesh Arora revealed the figure Tuesday while discussing the money-making potential of YouTube during a quarterly earnings call with financial analysts, as cited by international media.
Ad revenue from popular YouTube videos is shared with creators of the content.
In December 2012, "Gangnam Style" became the first video to break a billion views on YouTube, marking a historic milestone on the Internet.
A counter at the YouTube page showed that the music video has been watched more than 1.23 billion times since it was uploaded in July 2012.
"Gangnam" is estimated to have earned the rapper, whose real name is Park Jae-Sang, millions more from digital downloads, advertising deals and on-demand services.
The song - which refers to a trendy Seoul district - spawned a mini tribute video industry, complete with copycats.
- » Istanbul Nightlclub Attack: Turkish Police Arrest Suspect
- » Turkey’s Deputy PM: Intelligence Organisation Partook in Istanbul Attack
- » Romania’s Ex President Charged With Crimes Against Humanity
- » 3 People Wounded in Explosion in Turkey's Diyarbakır
- » 80% of Syrian Refugees To Remain in Turkey
- » Belgrade Could Turn Into "New Calais"