Dogan Attacker Had Ties with Sofia Drug Lord - Top Cop
Oktay Enimehmedov, the ethnic Turkish man who attacked key Bulgarian politician Ahmed Dogan, used to have close ties with notorious Sofia drug lord Hristo Shirev, according to Bulgaria's Interior Minister.
Enimehmedov and Shirev used to be close friends, Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov told reporters on Sunday.
As authorities revealed Saturday, Enimehmedov has a previous crime record for possession of drugs, theft and assault.
Enimehmedov burst onto the stage and pointed a gas pistol at Dogan during a televised speech at a party caucus Saturday. No shots were fired.
The 25-year-old attacker will be charged with grave hooliganism and death threat, prosecutors said Sunday. He may face up to 6 years in jail.
Authorities said that the weapon used in the attack was not capable of putting a life in jeopardy.
- » Daughter of Tsvetan Vassilev Charged with Money Laundering
- » 1658 Liters of Illegal Alcohol was Detained on the Black Sea Coast
- » Macedonian Customs Officers Detained Bulgarian Car with 22kg Marijuana
- » A British Court Sentenced Bulgarian Heroin Trafficker to 14 Years in Prison
- » A US Student will go to Jail Because of Faked Voter Lists
- » Units to Counteract Phone Scams Were Set Up in Several Cities in Bulgaria