Dogan Attacker Had Ties with Sofia Drug Lord - Top Cop
Oktay Enimehmedov, the ethnic Turkish man who attacked key Bulgarian politician Ahmed Dogan, used to have close ties with notorious Sofia drug lord Hristo Shirev, according to Bulgaria's Interior Minister.
Enimehmedov and Shirev used to be close friends, Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov told reporters on Sunday.
As authorities revealed Saturday, Enimehmedov has a previous crime record for possession of drugs, theft and assault.
Enimehmedov burst onto the stage and pointed a gas pistol at Dogan during a televised speech at a party caucus Saturday. No shots were fired.
The 25-year-old attacker will be charged with grave hooliganism and death threat, prosecutors said Sunday. He may face up to 6 years in jail.
Authorities said that the weapon used in the attack was not capable of putting a life in jeopardy.
- » 4 Charged with Women Trafficking to Greece and Germany
- » 23 Customs Officers Detained at Kulata Checkpoint in an Anticorruption Operation
- » Bulgarian Student Found Dead in Ukraine
- » Bulgarian Police Bust Super Modern Greenhouse for Growing Marijuana
- » Bulgarian Man Grievously Injured After He Was Hit by Car in Birkirkara
- » 4 Syrians Face Terrorism Charges in Germany