Bulgaria Socalists 'Appalled' by Opposition Leader Assassination Attempt
The opposition Bulgarian Socialist Party have issued a statement of strong condemnation of Saturday's assassination attempt against Movement for Rights and Freedoms leader Ahmed Dogan.
"What happened cannot be downplayed. This is an assault on democracy in Bulgaria and against everyone in Bulgaria," said the Socialists.
"We are deeply alarmed at the processes going on in society and at the possible destabilization of the country," added the leftist party.
Dogan remained unharmed in the incident at the MRF congress Saturday, after the attacker's hand gun misfired.
"Long fanned hatred and agression against one's political oponents are now giving their ugly effects. We must all resolutely rise against them," stated the Socialists.
The Bulgarian Socialist Party further calls on authorities to carry out a swift and precise investigation on the circumstances that led to the incident.
- » Bulgarian PM's Party Will Only Be Part in Govt if It Wins Election
- » Bulgaria's PM 'May Stay in Office Until January'
- » Bulgaria Amends Foreign Nationals Law, Adding 'Humanitarian Visas'
- » Bulgaria to Curb Movement of Migrants
- » Bulgaria's President Willing to Give Reformist Bloc Mandate to Form Govt
- » Harmanli Riots: Scabies Found among Some Migrants