Liberal International to Award Assaulted Bulgarian Leader
The Liberal International will give its highest distinction to Ahmed Dogan, the leader of affiliated Bulgarian Movement for Rights and Freedoms, who survived an attempt on his life Saturday.
This was announced by Liberal International president Hans Van Baalen, who is in Sofia for the national congress of the Movement.
Dogan's speech was interrupted by a man who walked up to him with a handgun, but failed to shoot, supposedly because of a misfire.
The man was quickly detained.
After a long pause, the congress resumed, with Movement for Rights and Freedoms MEP Filiz Hyusmenova finishing off Dogan's speech.
In it, it transpired that the longtime MRF leader is announcing his resignation and recommending vice-chair Lyutvi Mestanov as an heir.
- » New EUR10 Banknote Starts Circulating on September 23
- » Bulgaria Adopts EUR 113.5 M Maritime and Fisheries Program 2014-2020
- » Finance Ministry Holding Talks on EUR 800 M Loan by EIB
- » MEPs to Hear Kristalina Georgieva on October 2
- » Bulgaria’s Caretaker Govt Approves Cooperation Schemes under EU Programs
- » Bulgaria Reaffirms Willingness to Help Kiev Build Closer Ties with EU