Liberal International to Award Assaulted Bulgarian Leader
The Liberal International will give its highest distinction to Ahmed Dogan, the leader of affiliated Bulgarian Movement for Rights and Freedoms, who survived an attempt on his life Saturday.
This was announced by Liberal International president Hans Van Baalen, who is in Sofia for the national congress of the Movement.
Dogan's speech was interrupted by a man who walked up to him with a handgun, but failed to shoot, supposedly because of a misfire.
The man was quickly detained.
After a long pause, the congress resumed, with Movement for Rights and Freedoms MEP Filiz Hyusmenova finishing off Dogan's speech.
In it, it transpired that the longtime MRF leader is announcing his resignation and recommending vice-chair Lyutvi Mestanov as an heir.
- » EC to Approve Bulgaria’s Cross-Border Cooperation Programs in June
- » Bulgaria to Host Debate on EU’s Digital Single Market Plan Next Week
- » Jyrki Katainen: EU Plans to Encourage Development of Small and Medium Enterprises
- » European Commission Vice President to Promote Juncker Plan in Sofia
- » Frontex Ready to Help Bulgaria If Migratory Pressures Increase
- » Bulgaria’s Kuneva Discussing Schengen, Graft, Investment in Sweden