Liberal International to Award Assaulted Bulgarian Leader
The Liberal International will give its highest distinction to Ahmed Dogan, the leader of affiliated Bulgarian Movement for Rights and Freedoms, who survived an attempt on his life Saturday.
This was announced by Liberal International president Hans Van Baalen, who is in Sofia for the national congress of the Movement.
Dogan's speech was interrupted by a man who walked up to him with a handgun, but failed to shoot, supposedly because of a misfire.
The man was quickly detained.
After a long pause, the congress resumed, with Movement for Rights and Freedoms MEP Filiz Hyusmenova finishing off Dogan's speech.
In it, it transpired that the longtime MRF leader is announcing his resignation and recommending vice-chair Lyutvi Mestanov as an heir.
- » Bulgarian PM Discusses Energy Projects at EU Council
- » EU Provides Financial Aid for Integration of Immigrants in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria Gets Nod for EUR 2 B in EU Funding for Transport Projects
- » More Than Half of Bulgarians Have Positive Image of EU – Eurobarometer
- » Bulgaria to Get EUR 10.5 M Disaster Aid from EU
- » German Chancellor Promises Help, to Send Experts to Bulgaria