Liberal International to Award Assaulted Bulgarian Leader
The Liberal International will give its highest distinction to Ahmed Dogan, the leader of affiliated Bulgarian Movement for Rights and Freedoms, who survived an attempt on his life Saturday.
This was announced by Liberal International president Hans Van Baalen, who is in Sofia for the national congress of the Movement.
Dogan's speech was interrupted by a man who walked up to him with a handgun, but failed to shoot, supposedly because of a misfire.
The man was quickly detained.
After a long pause, the congress resumed, with Movement for Rights and Freedoms MEP Filiz Hyusmenova finishing off Dogan's speech.
In it, it transpired that the longtime MRF leader is announcing his resignation and recommending vice-chair Lyutvi Mestanov as an heir.
- » New Operational Program in Bulgaria to Improve SME’s Access to External Financing
- » Bulgaria Granted Citizenship to 808 Foreign Nationals in 2013 - Eurostat
- » EU Commission President Thanks for Bulgarian Contribution to Investment Plan
- » Bulgaria Ranked at Bottom of Migrant Integration Index
- » Bulgaria to Contribute EUR 100 M to Juncker Investment Plan
- » Bulgaria’s Agriculture Fund Pays BGN 703 000 to Farmers Affected by Russian Embargo