Turkish-Bulgarian Party Congress Halted after Assault on Leader
The hall in which Bulgarian Movement for Rights and Freedoms party was having its national congress has been evacuated by police after the assassiation attempt against leader Ahmed Dogan.
Security personnel are to inspect the scene of the crime and to search the premises for a bomb.
It is yet not clear whether the national congress, expected to re-elect longtime leader Dogan, will continue after 3 pm EET.
In the incident, Dogan was attacked with a hand gun by a man who walked on stage as Dogan was delivering his speech.
The leader was rescued unharmed, and the attacker has been detained, not before being severely physically abused by delegates.
- » Bulgaria's Reformists Ready to Draft Cabinet Only If Handed Mandate
- » Bulgaria's IntMin Makes U-Turn on Terror Threat
- » Bulgarian Prosecution Denies Reports of Terror Attack Plot
- » Bulgaria 'Aware of Terror Attack Plot' - IntMin
- » Bulgaria Chief Prosecutor to Meet TV Show Host over Referendum
- » Bulgaria's GDP Will Grow in 2017 Despite Political Crisis - Industry Group