Graham Watson: God Save Bulgaria, Turkish-Bulgarian Party
European Liberal Party president Graham Watson has expressed his outrage at the assassination attempt against affiliate Movement for Rights and Freedoms chair Ahmed Dogan.
"On behalf of the European Parliament and the ALDE party I thank God that Ahmed Dogan is alive and well," said Watson.
Saturday the liberal leader is in Sofia for the 8th national congress of the Movement, at which chair Dogan was assaulted with a hand gun as he was delivering his speech.
The leader was rescued unharmed by delegates, who fell upon the attacker before him being driven out by security.
"We are shocked by the assassination attempt against your leader," stated Hans Van Baalen, chair of the Liberal International, who is also present at the event.
Van Baalen added that the EU needs to act out to restore the normal functioning of the rule of law in Bulgaria.
- » Meeting of Heads of Parliamentary Committees for Union Affairs Held in Sofia
- » Borisov to the MEPs: If there is so much Corruption, How are we Always First in Elections (Video)
- » Boyko Borisov Presents the Presidency's Priorities to the European Parliament
- » Experts Argue Whether Prices Would Rise if Bulgaria Introduces the Euro
- » The Speech of Donald Tusk Delivered in Bulgarian (Video)
- » Euronews: Bulgaria is Applying for Schengen by Strictly Guarding its Border with Turkey