Graham Watson: God Save Bulgaria, Turkish-Bulgarian Party
European Liberal Party president Graham Watson has expressed his outrage at the assassination attempt against affiliate Movement for Rights and Freedoms chair Ahmed Dogan.
"On behalf of the European Parliament and the ALDE party I thank God that Ahmed Dogan is alive and well," said Watson.
Saturday the liberal leader is in Sofia for the 8th national congress of the Movement, at which chair Dogan was assaulted with a hand gun as he was delivering his speech.
The leader was rescued unharmed by delegates, who fell upon the attacker before him being driven out by security.
"We are shocked by the assassination attempt against your leader," stated Hans Van Baalen, chair of the Liberal International, who is also present at the event.
Van Baalen added that the EU needs to act out to restore the normal functioning of the rule of law in Bulgaria.
- » Bulgaria Records Sizeable Y/Y Drop in Jobless Rate in February 2015
- » Bulgaria Had Lowest Hourly Labor Costs in EU in 2014, at EUR 3.8
- » EU Launches Proceeding on Agricultural Land Ownership Laws in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria Fails to Address Shortcomings in Treatment of Prisoners, Conditions of Detention - CoE
- » Bulgaria to Get EUR 10 M EU Funding to Tackle Asylum, Migration, Integration
- » EU Commission VP Jyrki Katainen to Visit Bulgaria on April 16