Bulgaria Honors St Athanasius Half Past Winter
The Bulgarian Orthodox Church celebrates on January 18 the Day of Saint Athanasius (Atanasovden), who is the ruler of snow and ice.
The holiday is said to mark the middle of winter.
According to traditional Bulgarian beliefs, once the Day of Saint Athanasius is over, the spring is near.
Atanasovden, like St. Antony's Day, is a holiday of the blacksmiths, ironmongers, cutters and shoeing smiths, as well as a holiday to show respect to those who are ill.
Therefore, early in the morning women would bake a small flat loaf of bread, decorated with two dogs, who keep the diseases away from people.
Those who bear the name of the saint (Atanas) also celebrate on January 18.
- » Bulgaria will Participate with a Band at the Eurovision (Video)
- » The National Gallery at the Age of 70
- » 22nd Sofia International Film Festival 7-18-29 March 2018
- » The Underground Youth Live in Sofia
- » Alter Ego Exhibition Opening
- » The Italian Аmbassador Presents an Exhibition in the Ethnographic Museum in Sofia