ECB Presents New EUR 5 Banknote with Cyrillic Spelling of Euro
The new EUR 5 banknote will carry a Cyrillic inscription for the first time.
The EUR 5 banknote was presented Thursday at a press conference at the European Central Bank.
ECB President Mario Draghi unveiled the 'Europa series' EUR 5 banknote featuring his signature under the EU flag.
The new EUR 5 note carrying the word 'Euro' in Cyrillic is to be issued on May 2, 2013.
The new banknote also has better protection against counterfeiting, according to reports of Euractiv.
The press office of the Bulgarian National Bank (BNB) came up with a statement saying that the step gave rise to the application of the Cyrillic alphabet in the Eurozone and expanded the influence of the euro as a global currency.
"As a result, over 200 million people across the world using the Cyrillic alphabet, among which Bulgarians, as full-fledged EU citizens, will be able to read the word "euro" in their national language on the banknote," BNB notes.
- » Bulgaria Remains under EU Monitoring over Macroeconomic Imbalances
- » EU Commission Approves Bulgaria's Human Resources Program
- » Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva to Meet Bulgaria President, PM
- » Bulgaria to Get 6% of Requested EUR 300 M under EU Solidarity Fund
- » PES Leader Stanishev Offers to Help Bulgaria Join Schengen
- » Bulgaria Will Not Sign TTIP Unless US Lifts Visa Requirements - Minister