Nationalists to Rally Against US WW II Pilots Monument in Sofia
Bulgarian far-right populist parties Ataka and VMRO are to stage a rally in front of the US embassy in Sofia on Thursday, the day that marks the anniversary of the 1944 bombing of the capital.
Ataka leader Volen Siderov has reiterated his call for the dismantling of the monument of American pilots in Sofia.
Siderov has claimed that the monument depicts "war criminals", the Bulgarian National Radio has informed.
The nationalists have once again demanded an apology from the Americans and material compensations for the families of those who were injured and perished in the bombing.
It was recently announced that Ataka has filed with the Sofia City Hall a request to mount a memorial plaque for the 4 200 Bulgarian victims of the 1944 bombing.
- » First Festival of Italian Cinema to Begin in Sofia on Tuesday
- » Confidence in Bulgarian President Reaches Its Lowest Since Start of Term – Poll
- » Bulgaria's President Pays Tribute to Victims of Communist Rule
- » Worker Dies in Blast in Bulgaria's Arsenal
- » Bulgarian Is Spoken by 15 Million People Worldwide
- » EU Commission Office in Sofia Evacuated over Fire
this makes no sense to me ! I am Canadian and I have lived in BG why are the Americans doing this ??? subtle psychological invasion
some things should be left in the past ... thats like Germany erecting a monument to the pilots lost over England during the Battle of Britain....would that go down I think the outcry would be loud enough to make international headlines........ I only caught this because I read the news of Bulgaria many would not ......please keep Bulgaria Bulgaria not Bulgaria by USA