Pro-Chavez Rally Planned Instead of Inauguration
Venezuelan authorities called for a massive rally in support of cancer-stricken Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez on Thursday.
Several Latin American leaders have already arrived in Venezuela's capital for an event to honor the ailing Chavez, who is undergoing cancer treatment in Cuba and has not made a public appearance in a month.'
Uruguayan President Jose Mujica, Bolivian President Evo Morales and Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega are to attend the rally, according to CNN.
The Venezuelan leader was to be sworn in for a new sex-year term on Thursday. However, the ceremony was postponed due to his health problems. According to the latest official reports, Chavez is being treated for ''respiratory deficiency'' after complications from a severe lung infection.
On Wednesday, Venezuela's Supreme Court backed the government's position, ruling that Chavez begins a new term on Thursday and can be sworn in later before the court.
- » Police Searches House of Germanwings Co-Pilot
- » Croatian Culture Minister Resigns Over Financial Irregularities
- » Bulgarian Workers Are Safe as Situation in Chile Normalises
- » Germanwings Co-pilot Deliberately Crashed Plane
- » At Least 17 'Killed' in Saudi Arabia-Led Military Offensive in Yemen
- » Romanian Parliament Votes Approval for Former FinMin's Arrest