Bulgaria's Pironkova Makes It to Quarterfinals in Hobart, Australia
Bulgaria's best female tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova brought great joy to her fans after scoring a three-set upset win to gain a quarterfinal berth at the Moorilla Hobart International tennis tournament in Australia.
Pironkova clinched a 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory over third-seeded Klara Zakopalova.
Pironkova saved just one of the seven break points she faced but only one of those came in the third set when she had three breaks of her own.
Monica Niculescu also rallied for a win, defeating Peng Shuai 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. Like Pironkova, Niculescu was 7-of-12 in break chances but she needed three third-set breaks to advance.
Pironkova will play ninth-seeded Mona Barthel in the quarterfinals and she has admitted that will be a very difficult clash for her.
- » Bulgaria's CSKA Pledges Donation to Family of Chapecoense Plane Crash Victim
- » Bulgaria's Pulev to Face Samuel Peter for WBA Boxing Title on Saturday
- » Sofia to Host European Homeless Cup Next Year
- » Former Bayern Munich President Gets Re-elected
- » Bulgaria's Football Team Progresses in FIFA Rankings
- » Bulgaria’s Asenova Becomes European Boxing Champion