UKIP Leader: Irresponsible, Wrong to Open Borders for Bulgaria, Romania
The UK Independence Party leader has argued it was "irresponsible and wrong" to open the British borders to Bulgarians and Romanians from next year.
Speaking for BBC News, Nigel Farage said his party will campaign very hard on the fact that on January 1, 2014 the United Kingdom will open the doors to 29 million migrants from "the very poor countries of Bulgaria and Romania" not just for work, but for social security too.
Farage strongly disagreed that UK hotel and food processing industries would not be able to operate without the workers from what have been described as former Iron Curtain countries, working there.
"These industries have been operating for hundreds of years without an open-door policy."
UKIP leader claimed he was "pretty odd" when compared to Prime Minister David Cameron and unlike him he spent "spent 20 years having a job".
"I'm here as a campaigner. I want to free this country from the European Union. That is my motivation — maybe I'm odd in that sense."
Cameron attacked UKIP after polls revealed the party was enjoying soaring levels of support.
But Farage said the PM was "insulting a very large number of his own voters" who worried about Europe, immigration and wind farms.
The statement came just a day after David Cameron said Britain will demand new restrictions to keep out benefit tourists as it fears a tidal wave of Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants is about to swamp the country next year.
"Should we look at arguments about, should it be harder for people to come and live in Britain and claim benefits? Yes, frankly we should," Prime Minister David Cameron told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show.
The Prime Minister suggested only working immigrants should be allowed into the country, even if it means undermining the EU's key principle of "free movement".
He said there are already some restrictions on immigration across the EU, which could be extended when Britain seeks a new settlement with Brussels over the next few years.
Bulgarians and Romanians will gain the unrestricted right to live and work in the UK from December 2013, when temporary curbs imposed in 2005 to protect the British labor market expire.
- » PM Borisov, PES Leader Discuss Migrant Crisis, Bulgaria's Schengen Accession
- » Two Bulgarians Get Jail Terms in Sweden for Running Begging Scheme
- » Bulgaria Urges EU to Help Normalize Traffic at Border with Greece
- » Bulgaria to Contribute EUR 50 000 to EU Emergency Trust Fund for Africa
- » Avramopoulos: Bulgaria's Border Guarding Efforts Are Key to European Stability
- » EU Migration Commissioner to Visit Bulgaria's Elhovo
enough with these idiotic speeches, and tragic slanging matches.
the TRUTH (which politicians can't say, as it's "discriminatory" and "racist") is.....
Britain will welcome hard working qualified people from anywhere. What most brits are starting to worry about is that Britain already has plenty of workshy semi-literate scumbags who breed like rabbits, and then get free houses because they have kids. The worry is all the garbage of bulgaria - your bottom 10%, the unwashed, uneducated, unworking class will come over to England with their hordes small children, and demand free housing and money to buy food,nappies and wide screen tv's. That's why they want to keep the current controls so that you have to be degree educated, or self employed to come to the UK.
Political correctness prevents them saying what is staring everyone in the face. The bottom 10% in Bulgaria is perhaps 90% Roma - and anyone standing up and saying "The UK welcomes white Bulgarians, but not the Roma" would be absolutely crucified - hence thinking up other methods of restricting entry to migrants.
Dear Mr. Farage,
1. Do you have any idea that one of the main pillars of the EU is the free movement of people, stocks and capitals? I am afraid you missed this subject at school. Or even worst, you are just interested in the second and third part of this rule? I say it because you do not complain when UK companies exploit the cheap Bulgarian work hands and then sell the products at EU prices! I say it also, because you do not complain neither from the flood of jews, indians and arabs to your country (I have nothing against none of them!), this is somehow lack of logics...
2. Why you complain about all the East Europeans if your government was the one to suggest school programs to "such fresh and intelligent minds"? Let me remind you that more than 50% of the Managers in the London City are foreigners (part of them Bulgarians and Polish, YES!)
3. I agree with you about the corruption. If you tell me how to fight against it, I will be grateful. Because for now, we only receive EU reports but never strong restractions that "our" politions have to fulfull. In change, again WE the normal people have to pay for that.
4. Please, read more anf take some exaples from successful countries west of UK have millions of emigrates but they know how to get profit of this. I also remind you that any worker in a normal country pays taxes which contribute to the health ans soc. security system and nobody has the right to doubt their access to these services.
5. Here is the moment to tell you that I am totally against the criminals who come from other countries and make you troubles. But these people you do not have to treat by nation. Generalizing is a week point of your position.
6. Mr. Farage, I am really disappointed from such a discriminative attitude, and as a PROUD Bulgarian, speaking 5 languages and having Master´s you convinced me to change my flight ticket to UK for my next vacation. In change, I will stay to spend my money in my country. Please, take my advice for free: DO NOT COME TO BULGARIA AS IT´S TOO SUNNY AND TOO FUNNY (neither so your teenage drinkers who spoil our Black Sea resorts in summer!
a PROUD BULGARIAN
Why go to the UK….. There is NO MONEY in the UK, just don’t waste your time there. Quite frankly now you have more opportunities making money in the emerging markets all over the world including Bulgaria than wasting your time and money in a dying dinosaur like the UK. They can leave the EU if they wish.
The UK is an overburdened, overtaxed, overregulated and etc. “circus” with a boring and outdated show! NO money in the UK!
Go to immigrant countries like in North America or make your money in the emerging markets, that’s where the future is! (BTW making money in the EU, ONLY in Germany!)
Farage is just a clown - he can say what he pleases because the idiotic Little Englanders who vote for him will never be numerous enough for him to gain any sort of real power. Luckily, "smart" voters like Sa-sha are in short supply outside Third World dictatorships.... ;)
"Irresponsible" and "Wrong", sure...bearing in mind the real goal of EU
foundation-do read “The Great Deception: The Secret History of the European Union” by Christopher Booker and Richard North..... I mean
that I tend to share the authors' key idea: not to give more jobs, not
the EU's "four freedoms" (free movement of goods, capital, services, and PEOPLE), but the construction of a Federal European Superstate "under the joint hegemony of France and Germany" [and GB, I would 'enrich' the british authors' idea;-) ] was the Real agenda.